7 mm mashburn magnum

A few fps, for the $$ involved in the 7-300 or mashburn, go to a 26" pipe on a 7mm Rem Mag with a 1:9 twist bbl for the heavies and your availability for factory ammo and never look back but we all like something besides vanilla once and a while

Need to search as to what is a 7mm Mashburn...

It's the .300WinMag necked-down to fit a 7mm bullet. Lots of powder beneath a bullet of lesser mass than we usually see in a .300WinMag case. To my nearly limitless ignorance, such an association makes it a throat-eraser. But that's just my opinion. Your results may be entirely different under differing circumstances...

Attachments

• 7mm Mashburn SuperMagnum.JPG
    7mm Mashburn SuperMagnum.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
given the 7 mm on the 300 winchester and the 7 mm mashburn i see no difference.am i right on this.
ann
For all practical purposes, they are twins.

I built a 7x300 mainly as a 2K plinker, and for dies, just used a 7 mag neck only die, a 300 WM body die, and a regular 300 WM Wilson inline bullet seater.

They are NOT the same. They ARE different. Will there be any performance difference? Most likely not enough to notice. The reamers/prints are different.

I s'pose if I was so possessed, I could neck my .300-caliber oddball down to 7mm. Would probably cost me around $2000 by the time the first bullet flew, so the chances of such are just slightly less than me setting-up house with Cindy Crawford. I'm 61; Christie Brinkley is too old...

I have a 7mm Practical which nearly identical to the Mashburn. It seems you can pretty much accomplish the same performance from a 7mm-300. It's not as sexy though. As for the 7mm RM, which I have used for years with great success, any of the 300wm variants are capable of a meaningful increase in velocity.

7 Mashburn will lope along with the 160g at 3200+, about 3100 is where the 7RM is MAXED out at with a 26" barrel.

Max velocity with the Mashburn with the 160g is in the 3350fps area.

Mashburn/practical shows out with the 175-180g at 3075 fps, 24".

Winchester brass is tough and affordable. The 160g Nosler accubond and partition at 3200 has a cult like following for elk and deer out of the Mashburn with long case life.

A 29" 7RM is on the heels of a 26" Mashburn or 7 Practical that has a 24" barrel.

What is often over looked is the 150g bullets at 3400+ out of the 7 Mashburn and the 7 Practical for guys wanting more for 450 and under yardage.

ADG has 300 win mag brass in stock right now. I'm debating picking some up for when I decide to put another mashburn together

thank you for your imput.i was doing a lot of reading on these.just wanted to see how
some of you thought.i have a 300 winchester that may get rebarreled next spring. io was aways interested in the 7 mm magnums.this 300 was bought at a good price from a friend years ago.
ann

You can never go wrong with a 300 WM.
Period. I completely understand the temptation to play around with something new though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts