7 mm remington favorate elk loads

I don't mean to hijack your thread Ann but I am interested in the same question. I bought the Savage LRH in 7mm last season and have not made the step of reloading yet. I have shot several different factory loads trying to find a heavy bullet that it liked with little luck. The gun likes the Remington 150 gr. accupoint and consistently shoots groups 1/2"-3/4" at 100. Since this gun will be for whitetail 95% of the time I am satisfied with this bullet. However, I am headed on an elk hunt in a couple of weeks and know that a heavier bullet would be better. The gun shoots 1" groups with the 160 grain accubond. This is plenty accurate enough as I would not be planning to take a shot past 500 but I am struggling trying to decide if it is worth rezeroing and memorizing drop charts for a new bullet just to gain that little bullet weight. Any thoughts?

Well you're not just gaining weight but you're also gaining a heavier constructed bullet more suited for elk that and a lighter constructed bullet you could run into over expansion when shooting the bigger tougher animals and not get the nessesary penetration that's needed.

I shot a Remy 700 LR in 7 mm.
175 ABLR
61.0 grains RL22
2750 FPS
CCI250 Mag primer
3.298 COAL
Don't sound like much but it shoots a 3/4 hole at 200 yards.(5 shot groups)..Bone stock rifle, with the exception of a Timney trigger. Puts moose down, so I figure it should drop a elk!!!

Used the 160 ABs in Africa last May in my 7mm. Getting around 3040 fps. Kudu at 75 yds dropped so fast my PH asked where he went! 1 shot and straight down with my Gemsbuck and reedbuck too. Sable I missed the shoulder, but had the lungs. He was done for, but to be sure I hit him again and he went straight down. Mushroomed well. Diameter was slightly smaller than what I would of thought. Worked VERY well. Bruce

Remington Model 700 26"
175 grain Nosler Partitions
WW- Brass
CCI-250 primer
66.0 grains IMR-7828
MV 3060 fps
Three shot group @100 yards -5/8"

No signs of high pressure in four different rifles.
I use the Partition because of the odds of running into a ****ed off grizzly

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.