Elk rifle: 300 WSM vs 300 RSAUM

ATH

I'm considering an elk rifle, and was seet on 300 WSM. However the more I study I wonder if I should go with the 300 RSAUM, since it might be easier to find a Rem700 in that caliber. I've read the performance of the cartridges is nearly equivalent?

Also, I've shot a lot of 700s but not the Sendero...what is the major differences between the two?

I would go with the wsm because they're more popular. Not that the saum is a bad cartridge but you will be able to find wsm cartridges easier.

I agree, in fact I wonder about the future of RSUAM cartridges in general. I was hoping that Remington would
introduce a .25 & 6.5mm RSUAM as I believe these would match
the case size well & could be successful, but that might be
the problem. I think the idea of a new design doing well
would scare the Big Green Boys to death. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I did wonder about the popularity issue. Now I just need to pick components and have th gun built...

Back when Remington came out with the RSAUM I purchesed one of their 300 Titaniums. I later had it rechambered to the WSM. So if you want to try the RSAUM you can always change it. I prefer the WSM myself.

I agree with Idaho Elk Huntr,if your a Rem fan you can always have it rechambered to the Win short mag.
I thought Remington had already announced that they would be discontinuing thier line of short action ultra mags?
Brass availability would eventually become a problem,but it should make for some very cheap Rem rifles in the near future,which I think is already happening.If you look you shouldnt have a problem finding a SAUM stainless synthetic BDL for well under $400.00 and the price on what senderos are left in the short mag is getting closer and closer to $500.00 for new.
I just havent figured out why the SAUM model 7s are holding thier price as well as they are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
And if you dont like the idea of having to rechamber,Remington is already making thier 700 XCR rifle chambered for the 300 WSM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GO 300 WSM!

you can buy a Rem 700 SPS in 300 WSM now for $399-$440 depending on area and dealer. Just bought one!

I doubt the SAUM is going to be around much longer, especially now that Rem is chambering the 300 WSM.

BH

You found a factory SPS in 300 WSM?? They don't list the caliber as an option on the website...their list must be incomplete?
How do you like the barrel contour on the SPS?

It is the their catalog. There are quite a few around here in middle VA.

Standard factory contour. We will see how it does. After the first of the year scheduled to be firelapped, recrowned, lugs lapped and trigger set at 2.5 lbs.

Bruce Baer is making a 1.5 lb butternut thumbhole wooden stock that will be pillared. Total weight with new stock should be right at 7 lbs and hopefully little under.

First bullet I am going to try is the 180 SST, and H4350.

Goal is .5-.75 MOA and I will be happy.

BH

ATH, I know you didn't mention a 300 Win Mag but if you have trouble finding the rifle you want in the chamber you desire, I'm confident you can find a 700 in 300 Win in a few hours.

The WSM's are fine calibers and I've loaded for both of the 300 versions. My brother shoots the Remington short. I personally couldn't see a remarkable difference in the 2. The longest shot made with my brother's 300SAUM is just over 400 using the 168 TSX and IMR4350. Worked like a charm.

But my concern echos the others in regards to future popularity. I think the SAUMs will slowly fade out where the WSMs are here to stay.

That's why I side with the guys at Sierra and ask, "why did they every make them?"...when in comes to the shorts. I still continue to remind those rifle shoppers of the good old 300 WM.

I started out decided on 300 WM, but had two concerns: 1) long action, 2) I heard it's a much harder case to resize/reload.

Though I'm an avid shooter, I've spent my life in shotgun/ML zones and my only centerfire rifle is a Garand, so I'm admittedly ignorant on some of this and that's why I'm asking so many questions! So correct me if I'm wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I started out decided on 300 WM, but had two concerns: 2) I heard it's a much harder case to resize/reload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much harder? I strongly disagree with this concern. The 300WM has won the 1000. It is a sound cartridge, and I never had a problem reloading for it for 15 years.

I didn't say it wasn't a sound cartridge or that it was inaccurate...I wouldn't have been considering it if that were the case! Specifically, I read that it was difficult to resize the cases due to the belt, and this could lead to jamming after the case had been reloaded a couple times due to expansion in front of the belt and the inability of most resizing dies to address this area.

If you know how to measure the headspace you will not have a problem. I loaded the 300WM cases up to 5x each. Beyond that, I prefer new brass anyway, just my thing. JMO, but if anyone has difficulty sizing 300WM brass, then they might want to re-evaluate their method. I've never had an issue, and to the best of my knowledge, neither has anyone else I know that loads it. And I know at least a dozen or so others that load it regularly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.