Remington barrel too small for brake? Please help!

338RUML

My Remington factory 338 Rum has an end barrel diameter of .640 thousandths my gunsmith is concerned about putting a brake on because it would leave less than 80 thousands between the threads and bore. This gun is not comfortable to shoot and needs a brake does anybody make custom brakes for problems like this?

1/2x28 is done on .30 caliber rifles all the time and 9/16x24 leaves more barrel wall thickness on a 338 then 1/2x28 does on a 30.

Either way, you'll want a good recoil pad on it. I was shocked how much felt recoil a Limbsaver reduced. Much more than a Pachmeyer. I have a 338 WM with just a good recoil pad and it's just fine with no brake.

Thanks for the information guys I am comsidering a clamp on brake at the moment I am going to talk to my smith about possibly using one of these other brakes. What would be the best route to take for a clamp on?

This is one of the most common rifles I brake, I use Hollands Radial brakes with a 9/16-28 threads, they blend perfectly with either of the factory finishes so no extra work is required if he trims the back of the brake to the right OD before installing, makes them quite nice to shoot!

So with an end diameter of .640 thousandths and 338 caliber what would be the best threads to put on this barrel safley without weakening or damaging the barrel?

I wouldn't do a drilled hole brake. They aren't nearly as effective as a baffled brake and they kick up a ton of dirt if you shoot them prone.

This is one of the most common rifles I brake, I use Hollands Radial brakes with a 9/16-28 threads, they blend perfectly with either of the factory finishes so no extra work is required if he trims the back of the brake to the right OD before installing, makes them quite nice to shoot!

Darrel has put brakes on several of my factory Remington rifles. They were the QD, quick discharge variety and they work awesome. Great guy to do business with.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.