Remington 7 1/2 primer issue.

kiwikid

After shooting thousands of Rem 7 1/2 primers over the years I was surprised to have one with a pin hole develop on firing.

The rifle is a Steyr SBS Half Stock in 223 Rem with 23;6" barrel.
Load details are,
Norma cases, factory load plus 2x reload.
25 grains Hodgdon Benchmark powder,
55 grain Sierra GK bullets.
3049 fps.
This is not a hot load and there are no signs of pressure including measuring the web area with a micrometer.
Has anyone else experienced this with the Rem 7 1/2 primers?
20211017_125430.jpg20211010_000355.jpg

Are you sure its a 7.5, maybe its the light but looks like a wolff primer by the color.
Anyway never a problem in probably atleast 10,000 7.5 I've used

Mine were Rem 9 1/2 about 40 years ago. Pock marked the bolt faces. Happens to all brands.

A loose primer pocket will do it and look the same as a defective primer cup.

If pockets are tignt, you have defective primers.
Win had many LR defective primers about 10 years ago. Win replaced them.

Rem company sold, split, who is/was making them?

If older primers, looks like scrap, no returns.

In mid-October, Minnesota-based Vista Outdoor Inc. closed on its acquisition of Remington's ammunition production facility, along with the Remington brand and trademarks. Vista Outdoor paid $81.4 million for the assets as part of Remington's bankruptcy.Nov 15, 2020

Are you sure its a 7.5, maybe its the light but looks like a Wolff primer by the color.
Anyway never a problem in probably at least 10,000 7.5 I've used
I thought so also but looking at unfired 7-1/2s under 10x and 70x magnification (I used to work @ Sikorsky Helicopter and got into failure analysis a couple of times, but I digress) and the color and finish of the new primer looks like his pictures.

Thank you for the response guys!
They are definitely Rem 7-1/2s as they are all I have used up until about a year ago when I bought 1000 Fed 205 M primers.

Back in the late 70s I read in a reloading manual that the Rem 7-1/2s were designed to handle the extra pressure that the 223 Rem developed compared to the 222 Rem.

It does appear that the colour of the 7-1/2s changed a couple of years ago and the one that failed is one of the older version. I only have 15 odd rounds loaded with the old primers so I will pull the bullets and get rid of the primers.

Here is a pic of the older (LH) and newer (RH) 7-1/2s. 20211031_072305.jpg

Boy you must have some real old ones, mine have looked like this for atleast 15 years
When I went to load these a couple of years ago I found one packet of old Rem 7-1/2s tucked away in the back of the safe that I keep my primers in so I decided to use them up.

They may well be close to 40 years old.

Where have the years gone?

After shooting thousands of Rem 7 1/2 primers over the years I was surprised to have one with a pin hole develop on firing.

The rifle is a Steyr SBS Half Stock in 223 Rem with 23;6" barrel.
Load details are,
Norma cases, factory load plus 2x reload.
25 grains Hodgdon Benchmark powder,
55 grain Sierra GK bullets.
3049 fps.
This is not a hot load and there are no signs of pressure including measuring the web area with a micrometer.
Has anyone else experienced this with the Rem 7 1/2 primers?
View attachment 307435View attachment 307436
Not with the 7 1/2's but with others,,,,,,,,,,,just a bad primer wall, thats it.

If you read on Rem's site it will say the 6.5 is only suppose to be used in Hornet style cases.