Remage conversions

Using Bighorn and Savage actions with Northland/Criterion barrels, I will say that the results have been beyond my expectations with performance easily comparable to my shouldered premium barrels.
I've found Savage action to be rough compared to say Remington's. But lately been considering Savages for a 300 win mag build. Do you feel they that their feeding of ammo smooths up? I'll probably run a detachable mag if I get one. TIA.

I have been looking at remage conversions recently. Has anyone had good luck using them. I want to get a practice rig together that I can still shoot long range with, not hunt at long ranges. I have thought about some prs because it looks fun and why not. My gunsmith is really good but there time is getting to 6-8 months now. Not to mention his prices are getting higher and higher.

I have looked at
northland shooting
Bugholes.com (can get premium proven barrels)
Match grade machining

I have this & like it.
https://westtexordnance.com/switchlug/

I ordered a 6.5prc on an Origin and WTO switch lug in late winter early spring and it should've been done sometime in September so out of curiosity I called them and the match reamer was off being sharpened. So needless to say the wait sucks but.....I get a good sharp reamer chambering my barrel!! I figured the wait was worth it rather than going saami spec reamer.

being that i'm on a daycare diet for the next several years, i've been thinking of trying one myself. i just need an action wrench and some go/no go gauges and i'll be set. i've been considering building a barrel vise as i have metal and welder.

I've found Savage action to be rough compared to say Remington's. But lately been considering Savages for a 300 win mag build. Do you feel they that their feeding of ammo smooths up? I'll probably run a detachable mag if I get one. TIA.
I think the pinned bolt head is what creates the feeling of toughness as the action is cycled, particularly if cycled in a non-linear fashion. Somewhat less si, but it is also evident with the Bighorn until some use. It does smooth up in time. While Uve never had issues with the stick format, I beef up extraction by replacing the .125" extractor detent ball with a .140", available from Brownells. .

I have been looking at remage conversions recently. Has anyone had good luck using them. I want to get a practice rig together that I can still shoot long range with, not hunt at long ranges. I have thought about some prs because it looks fun and why not. My gunsmith is really good but there time is getting to 6-8 months now. Not to mention his prices are getting higher and higher.

I have looked at
northland shooting
Bugholes.com (can get premium proven barrels)
Match grade machining

The main thing to remember is that Barrel quality is un known until you shoot it.

With that being said the answer is yes i have had mixed results, but some turn out well considering.

The procedure I prefer is to first bore scope the barrel after a bright metal cleaning.
If the barrel looks good then I set up in the lathe and cut the new chamber or set the original chamber back 1 thread,inspecting the chamber as I go. (You can see the uneven cut of the original chamber as it cleans up.

If it cleans up you have a chance to salvage the barrel at this point and have not wasted any time and labor on an otherwise worthless barrel. This is the way to get started if you are a future Gunsmith using an old rifle that would shoot just ok.

At this point I commit to trying the barrel and spend the effort to Blue print the action. set the shoulder back, set the breach face and head space the chamber.

Don't expect a 1/2 MOA rifle, but sometimes they will improve quite a bit and if you have a good bore, they will surprise you.

I personally don't recommend this if you cant do the work your self because the cost of doing the same work with a new quality barrel is the same generally except for the new barrel cost, and the outcome will almost always be much better.

J E CUSTOM

The main thing to remember is that Barrel quality is un known until you shoot it.

With that being said the answer is yes i have had mixed results, but some turn out well considering.

The procedure I prefer is to first bore scope the barrel after a bright metal cleaning.
If the barrel looks good then I set up in the lathe and cut the new chamber or set the original chamber back 1 thread,inspecting the chamber as I go. (You can see the uneven cut of the original chamber as it cleans up.

If it cleans up you have a chance to salvage the barrel at this point and have not wasted any time and labor on an otherwise worthless barrel. This is the way to get started if you are a future Gunsmith using an old rifle that would shoot just ok.

At this point I commit to trying the barrel and spend the effort to Blue print the action. set the shoulder back, set the breach face and head space the chamber.

Don't expect a 1/2 MOA rifle, but sometimes they will improve quite a bit and if you have a good bore, they will surprise you.

I personally don't recommend this if you cant do the work your self because the cost of doing the same work with a new quality barrel is the same generally except for the new barrel cost, and the outcome will almost always be much better.

J E CUSTOM

great points JE....i bought a 700 ADL about a year ago from cabelas when they were having a sale for $320, sold the factory barrel for $75 and plan to have my smith blueprint the action. then i'll do the barrel install myself and install in a stock myself. i'll have to invest in some tools, but then i'll have them for future builds. plus i have 2 boys that will hopefully enough hunting and shooting with me. thanks for the advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts