Remage conversions

They've (Columbia River Arms / Black Hole Weapons) been excellent about doing just about anything they can to hook a brutha up. A while back they didn't do Winchester or Mossberg. I sent them a used up winchester barrel and machinists drawings for the big and little mossbergs and now they do those. They're super cool that way. They don't list all the reamers they have on the site. You have to call and ask or email and ask if the one you want isn't listed.

They've (Columbia River Arms / Black Hole Weapons) been excellent about doing just about anything they can to hook a brutha up. A while back they didn't do Winchester or Mossberg. I sent them a used up winchester barrel and machinists drawings for the big and little mossbergs and now they do those. They're super cool that way. They don't list all the reamers they have on the site. You have to call and ask or email and ask if the one you want isn't listed.
Do you know if they're button or cut rifling?

Patriot Valley Arms does remage conversions also and you can choose cut or button rifled. Rock Creek barrels, don't know if they do other manufacturers......if I had to do it again idk who I'd go with.....so many out there now. Also if you have a trued/blue printed action MGM does .010" over barrels and nuts for remage.

Northland has been very good. I would think there Remage conversion would also be good. I shoot a Savage and bought a Criterion Prefit barrel from them and it shoots out. Very happy with it.

I bought a factory .223 Remington varmint sps a long time ago and it wouldn't shoot so I bought all the tools to take the barrel off, found a few places doing the "remage" conversions, settled on NSS with a criterion 24" LV .224V 1-6.5". Thing shoots great. Just measured the twist on it with a cleaning rod and it is more of a 1-7 twist than 1-6.5 but, no big deal.
It shoots sub moa pretty easy, shot it at 600 and 5 shots is sub moa and 10 shots 1/2 moa. I took it to 1083 and got 10-15 shots on a 24"x24" plate with 3 different seating depth loads, first time going beyond 400yrds at all and the Valkyrie did it all very easily!!
All in all I WILL be doing more of these conversions when I need to.
Did you have to get a new bolt? Any trouble getting the mag to fit or feed?

I have been looking at remage conversions recently. Has anyone had good luck using them. I want to get a practice rig together that I can still shoot long range with, not hunt at long ranges. I have thought about some prs because it looks fun and why not. My gunsmith is really good but there time is getting to 6-8 months now. Not to mention his prices are getting higher and higher.

I have looked at
northland shooting
Bugholes.com (can get premium proven barrels)
Match grade machining

I've built several Remage rifles now. The nicest one was a Rem700 w/Sin Arms chambered Brux barrel in 7mag that shoots easy in the .3s. I've done one from Northland in 243AI that shoots nice and a McGowen, both shoot .5 give or take. There are many options besides that out there and it doesn't take a lot of skill nor tools to build a rifle with a remage barrel. Just have to be precise with the headsapce, put it in a good stock, and keep track of what you changed last so you can repeat it if you take it apart later. If you don't hate the look of the nut then go for it, you'll be happy you did.

-K

Did you have to get a new bolt? Any trouble getting the mag to fit or feed?
Yes, I got a ptg 6.8 one piece bolt.
Uh not really......the best mag I have for it I just got a regular 308 accurate mag and put a primal rights 6br kit in it and bend on the feed lips to make it work with the smaller case......works awesome! The other is a .223 accurate mag that has the plastic housing, it works ok, it needs more tweaking, cases like to nose dive, I'll get it fixed one day or another when I get to it. Other than that it feeds out of the mag great with the 308 mag. No issues at all with the cartridge or any part of it......I would've done something's different but are none issue like a bit lighter barrel, fluted bolt, maybe a fluted barrel, krg bravo stock, I already had the stock and it works.
I have a lot of time in it pillar bedding it and inletting it for the ptg dbm(not the prettiest on the inletting but...it works)

Do you know if they're button or cut rifling?
They have a proprietary method they're pretty darned tight lipped about. It's said to create a super hard surface inside the bore so I'm betting there's some level of a button or hammer forging or both involved. My personal bet is that they cold hammer forge on a smooth mandrel which is undersize to the stated bore diameter and then run a button through for the rifling arcs. Look up Caudle 3-land rifling and you'll probably get what I'm drifting.

FYI, they're having a serious sale right now. It's 30% and you will need to call. A fully set up barrel from them with that discount is impossible to beat. You'll thank me.

They have a proprietary method they're pretty darned tight lipped about. It's said to create a super hard surface inside the bore so I'm betting there's some level of a button or hammer forging or both involved. My personal bet is that they cold hammer forge on a smooth mandrel which is undersize to the stated bore diameter and then run a button through for the rifling arcs. Look up Caudle 3-land rifling and you'll probably get what I'm drifting.

FYI, they're having a serious sale right now. It's 30% and you will need to call. A fully set up barrel from them with that discount is impossible to beat. You'll thank me.
I think I read they have 5 "groove" also, do you have a preference?
Seems like a great idea, less gas cutting, tighter dimensions, less jacket distortion. Are their barrels faster than a conventional barrel?

Try this gentleman. He did my 700 SPS .308. 26" Criterion. One hole at 100 with 175 smk tipped or 195 smk tipped. Had the 175s out to 1880. This gun is a freak. Even Tim doesn't believe it shoots this well.

BW

Attachments

• 20190328_104428.jpg
    20190328_104428.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20180830_185746.jpg
    IMG_20180830_185746.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 199
Northland shooters supply is great. I have two. A 260 and 30-06 match in stainless heavy varmint contours. They really shoot. The 260 can shoot clover leafs. If I was a better shot I think it could do better so no complaints here. Their customer service is impeccable and the person who answered my calls was knowledgeable about his products and specs. If you call they go over what you want and you can get a great barrel/nut/action wrench and a lug alignment tool that works really well with their stuff. I highly recommend.

Northland shooters supply is great. I have two. A 260 and 30-06 match in stainless heavy varmint contours. They really shoot. The 260 can shoot clover leafs. If I was a better shot I think it could do better so no complaints here. Their customer service is impeccable and the person who answered my calls was knowledgeable about his products and specs. If you call they go over what you want and you can get a great barrel/nut/action wrench and a lug alignment tool that works really well with their stuff. I highly recommend.
Just so everyone knows, North land Shooters is not a barrel maker, you either have a Shilen or Criterion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts