To Remage or not to remage

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115360

So, I love the idea of doing my own quick and simple barrel swaps, but I have questions. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here running them, and my biggest concern is accuracy. I'd like to hear some first person accounts, good or bad. Thank you.

Go the shouldered prefits route. Using quality barrels, both ways (remage/barrel nut & shouldered) are as accurate as whatever the potential of your rifle is. Shouldered prefits you literally screw on and screw off. You don't need your go/no go gauges, wrench, etc. Unless it's a left hand twist barrel you can torque shouldered prefits hand tight. Left hand twist will come loose if not torqued tighter. Right hand twist will self snug/tighten when firing. I've taken them on/off 5x shooting 5 round groups at 500 and maintained 1/2 MOA. YMMV.

Go the shouldered prefits route. Using quality barrels, both ways (remage/barrel nut & shouldered) are as accurate as whatever the potential of your rifle is. Shouldered prefits you literally screw on and screw off. You don't need your go/no go gauges, wrench, etc. Unless it's a left hand twist barrel you can torque shouldered prefits hand tight. Left hand twist will come loose if not torqued tighter. Right hand twist will self snug/tighten when firing. I've taken them on/off 5x shooting 5 round groups at 500 and maintained 1/2 MOA. YMMV.
Outstanding information, thank you. Who makes the shouldered prefits?

I'm by no means a gunsmith, I have done a few RemAge barrels myself tho. A 22 creedmoor is quickly becoming my go to rifle slowly overshadowing my all time favorite 23-250. Rem700 chassis Criterion barrel 1-7 twist. Got it in a chassis. Also 6 creedmoor carbon 6 barrel in a trued 700 action. Both out shoot me and only breaking 1/2" groups on my account at 100 yards. A 338 edge on a stiller action Pacnor barrel and 300 WM on 700 action also a Pacnor barrel. Also a prefit smokeless barrel on a Savage 110 action. My only complaint is that gosh awful barrel nut always makes me say ugly stinking savage!! Although Patriot Valley Arms makes an octogonal barrel nut that is more pleasing to the eye. Pics won't load sorry!

Depends on your rifle, but pretty much any reputable gunsmith can do it. If it's a Rem 700 than they'll most likely want the action for the first one because the tolerances vary a little with them. Then, they can save the dimensions and cut you a prefit whenever you need it. If it's something like an Impact, TL3, Lone Peak, Terminus, etc they're consistent enough to just make you one without needing your action. I use LRI primarily but there are a lot of good gunsmiths out there.

So I've built Remage ... I won't argue they are "more" accurate but I will challenge any claim that they are "less" accurate. I will agree a shouldered and properly headspaced barrel is "easier" to swap in the field - or anywhere else for that matter ...

If I am building with the intent for it to be an on the fly switch barrel - yes shouldered - if you just want to be able to swap barrels yourself, a precision ground recoil lug and precision barrel nut will shoot as accurately as a shouldered setup - some may weigh in and disagree with this claim but groups in the .2s,.3s, and .4s at 100 are evidence that a remage setup is very very accurate.

but - build what you will LIKE! ... have fun!

I'm by no means a gunsmith, I have done a few RemAge barrels myself tho. A 22 creedmoor is quickly becoming my go to rifle slowly overshadowing my all time favorite 23-250. Rem700 chassis Criterion barrel 1-7 twist. Got it in a chassis. Also 6 creedmoor carbon 6 barrel in a trued 700 action. Both out shoot me and only breaking 1/2" groups on my account at 100 yards. A 338 edge on a stiller action Pacnor barrel and 300 WM on 700 action also a Pacnor barrel. Also a prefit smokeless barrel on a Savage 110 action. My only complaint is that gosh awful barrel nut always makes me say ugly stinking savage!! Although Patriot Valley Arms makes an octogonal barrel nut that is more pleasing to the eye. Pics won't load sorry!
They are an eyesore. That has always prevented me from going that route, but if they will shoot 1/2 minute, I can get over it..

Not really a fan of the looks either, but worth it to me. I forgot where I got it, but this is the nut I used.

Attachments

• 51435F17-0D23-481A-BDA7-B45DE2D01A83.jpeg
    51435F17-0D23-481A-BDA7-B45DE2D01A83.jpeg
    781.2 KB · Views: 366
The reason the remage exist is because of the success of Savage and their system. With a quality barrel, you've got nothing to worry about.I have two Savage examples, both with Shilen barrels and B&C aluminum bedded stocks and I quickly went from thrilled with .9" groups at 100 to rather disappointed with .9" groups.

If you want to call it a downside, I had to start dealing with the fact that temp changes velocity and therefore group size. I dont handload anymore, so thankfully my hunting rifle shoots better in the winter and my precision rifle shoots better in the heat with the ammo I buy so I can trade off with whatever part of the year I'm in.

Last edited:
Shouldered prefit is the way to go, but like others have mentioned, the tolerances on a 700 aren't tight enough, so your gunsmith will need the action in hand.

A Remage with a barrel nut is totally fine, just need gauges to set your headspace. I had a 22-250 AI prefit on a Savage and it shot great! Recently picked up a TL3 and moved the savage prefit over for now (same thread pitch). Ended up having some cerakote done and looks even better. It'll be a 22 Creed once I torch the current barrel and I definitely plan on the shouldered pre-fit route.
B6F50870-742C-4210-ADAF-281836E8E400.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.