Remage Barrels

Okie Whitetail Hunter

I have built a few different Rem 700s with Remage barrels. Are there any others out there that do the same? If so what calibers have you built and which Remage barrel company did you use?

Most of the time, I have not found one with a good bore and chamber. If I find one with a good bore, the first thing I do is set it up in the lathe and set the shoulder back one thread if the chamber will clean up before it requires more than one thread. if the chamber doesn't clean up within one thread I use the barrel to make special projects.

Remage barrels are a pig in a Polk and you don't know what you have until you fire it.
I have the advantage of being able to do the work my self so I am only out a little time if the chamber doesn't clean up. It cost very little more to have a smith install a premium barrel and at least start with a better/more accurate barrel. (Less gamble).

J E CUSTOM

I built one using a KAK barrel in .308. It's for a hinting rifle, but so far it's a shooter out to 200 yards. I'm happy with it, especially for the price.

I did a 7mm Rem Mag for my sister with a Wilson Remage from Ragged Holes and on an untrued straight out of the box Rem 700 action it shot 1/2moa with the 2nd load used.

Last winter, I built a 280ai on an untried action it's a shooter.
Factory shells shot 3/4" or less and handloads did much better. Settled on 155 hh at 3050. Group .312 at 100yds. Northland shooter supply. Will do another rifle that way.

I built a 6.5/06 with a criterion barrel on a trued 700 action. it would not shoot under an inch so I sent it back at 100 rounds. they contacted me and said I shot it out and didn't believe I only had 100 rounds through it. he said I had to have at least 800 through it. they set it back 30 thousand and re chambered it. shoots about 3/4 is the best I can get no matter what load combo I try . not a huge fan at this point. hopefully others have better luck than me.

I have a criterion from northland Shooter supply in 7remmag 1.8 twist shoots 180g Berger's and 165 seirra gamechangers all three touching at 100 yards good sds and es

I have Criterion RemAge barrel in 280 AI and couldn't be happier. Got the barrel, barrel nut, go/no go gauges and trigger tech trigger from Northland Shooters Supply, the stock from Stockys and assymbled it myself. This was built off my original center-fire Remington 721and I am stocked that I breathed new life into an old gun.

I have savage, remage, winage, howage, mossage and mausage in the safe.

All but the Mauser, the barrels come from Columbia River Arms/Black Hold Weaponry. The Mauser barrel is from Troup Systems.

Remage is nothing special, just a .308 I literally never take out of the safe, much less actually shoot. Don't remember where I got the barrel nut.
Winage is a Win M70-post. I believe it was the first post-70 Winchester to get a barrel nut system. CRA used my original M70 barrel as the template. It's a 7mm RM. CRA/BHW barrel nut.
Howage is a Howa 1500 converted from .308Win to 6XC. McGowan barrel nut.
Mossage is a Mossberg MVP varming .223. I just burned out the original barrel with bimetal bullets and abuse so I replaced it with a CRA unit with a PTG barrel nut.
Mausage is a Swedish Mauser m38 converted to .45ACP with a Troup Systems conversion including their own barrel nut.

I've done 4 Untrued rem 700 ctions. They've all been shooters. Only way to go in my opinion. I've also done 5 savages so I've had experience with nut based barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.