Remage how to?

Elkeater

So I have a stock rem 700 short action in .308. It's a good gun and I've shot it out to 1000 but I'm thinking I want to do a remage setup with It. I can't seem to find much info what I need to do to get this done. Can someone explain what needs to happen?

Thanks

I just finished another remage. Try James at NSS. He has the barrel, barrel nut, tools and gages, plus good advice. You will also need a tool for squaring the receiver lug. NSS has one that fits there action wrench.
Have you got a buddy you can borrow a 45-50 ft/lb torque wrench from? I've found placing your muzzle down and vertical, placing some Kano oil inside the action on the barrel threads makes breaking a Remington barrel loose much easier. Let the Kano oil soak for 24 hours.
Good luck.

A few have already mentioned it but yes James at Northland Shooters Supply is great to work with and the Criterion barrels are pretty good to. I have built a 6.5 creed x3, 25/06 and 6.5 PRC (carbon Six Barrel). Pretty easy to do and James has the tools and go/no go gauges. Send a PM and I can assist if you need help.

The barrel nuts that I've seen all use the Savage barrel nut tool, Even McGowan's "Howage"* barrel nut system for Howa actions uses the Savage tool. Can buy those in varying quality all over the net.

Same is true for Head-space gauges, lots of vendors of varying quality.

*NOTE: These are made for the std LA & SA 1500 actions and do not fit the 1500 Mini actions because of their smaller barrel thread size.

If your action is stock, then there is a special action wrench that will hold the lug in line with the action that you will need. I had my recoil lugs pinned on my 700 actions so I can just use the barrel vise and action wrenches I already have.

Stock barrels can be nasty, for that reason, for the first barrel change, I've sent my 700s off to be rebarreled, and blueprinted/trued at the same time. I get the recoil lugs pinned at that time. some places put 2 pins in some put 1 in.

I like using a viper barrel vise. put the go gauge in the chamber with the barrel tightened down and screw on the action with the bolt in. When it stops, tighten down the nut. There are several places that make nuts, Bugholes, PVA, Northland, PTG all come to mind). The torque spec varies slightly based on recommendations, or if you have a 700 action wrench, you can use that and hold the nut with a regular wrench to achieve the torque (this works with nuts with flats, but some also require the savage wrench). If you do it with an action wrench that replaces the bolt, then you have to put the go gauge back and to check that it hasn't over tightened.

Savage really came up with a good system. Now places are making it for the Remingtons, Tikkas, Sako TRG, and of course the RPR.

The barrel nuts that I've seen all use the Savage barrel nut tool, Even McGowan's "Howage"* barrel nut system for Howa actions uses the Savage tool. Can buy those in varying quality all over the net.

Same is true for Head-space gauges, lots of vendors of varying quality.

*NOTE: These are made for the std LA & SA 1500 actions and do not fit the 1500 Mini actions because of their smaller barrel thread size.
Oregon Mountain Rifles has a nice barrel nut. You can use a wrench

Aesthetically I prefer the spline drive of the traditional Savage design, but for some I guess that wrench flats would be preferable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts