To Remage or not to remage

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
I shot BR for years and all use shouldered barrels. Screw on and off by hand. Perfect headspace when switching from light varmint to heavy varmint wt class.
Now I use the West Texas Ordnance switch lug system for my hunting rifles. Easy barrel swap by hand. Headspace perfect. Looks clean. Super accurate and repeatable. Having another built now. Will have a switch lug for both std and mag face bolts. Want another caliber? Just buy a barrel and have it threaded.😋
I agree the West Tx Ordance switch lug is simple and cleaan very accurate on my 6.5 prc Curtis axiom action set up the tolerance is so close all i have to do is order a pre fit and screw it on by hand and lock the lug works perfect I've built plenty rifles shouldered up to the action this switch lug works better than my expectations

I will look and see what I have and get back yo you via PM
I remove smooth barrel nuts with vise grips or a pipe wrench, and once they are removed smash them with a sledge hammer to make sure they are not used again. It's a form of therapy and helps with my anger management.LOL

Dean
Why couldnt you make a spanner wrench for the smooth barrel nut and drill 2 little holes in the barrel nut to snug it up

Why couldnt you make a spanner wrench for the smooth barrel nut and drill 2 little holes in the barrel nut to snug it up
I like being Angry. And I truely believe it was a lame atempt to stop us from swaping barrels and buy more guns instead.
For what it's worth I am at war with large corporations, Insurance companys, and the government. there just not aware of it.LOL

Dean

Last edited:
I agree that most actions don't really need trued up to shoot 1/2 moa. A good barrel and bedding will usually get it done. I've built semi customs on 700s for over 30 yrs and I've seen them be very straight and shoot crappy and very crooked and shoot good. One had lugs that were .010 off of each other and shot fantastic with only one lug touching. If you put one together and it just can't be made to shoot then think about trueing but if your expectations are 1/2 moa you should be ok. I've done Remington 700s that I trued up everything on and sleeved the bolt and bushed the firing pin and they can be hammers. But I've put good barrels on many other actions that I did nothing to and had them hammer too. Getting 1/2 moa isn't hard in today's shooting world. Bullets and barrels are great and as long as the barrel is put on properly you shouldn't have a problem. Go for it you will have fun and learn new things about your rifles and it's addictive so be prepared to do more of them once you get your feet wet.
Shep

I agree that most actions don't really need trued up to shoot 1/2 moa. A good barrel and bedding will usually get it done. I've built semi customs on 700s for over 30 yrs and I've seen them be very straight and shoot crappy and very crooked and shoot good. One had lugs that were .010 off of each other and shot fantastic with only one lug touching. If you put one together and it just can't be made to shoot then think about trueing but if your expectations are 1/2 moa you should be ok. I've done Remington 700s that I trued up everything on and sleeved the bolt and bushed the firing pin and they can be hammers. But I've put good barrels on many other actions that I did nothing to and had them hammer too. Getting 1/2 moa isn't hard in today's shooting world. Bullets and barrels are great and as long as the barrel is put on properly you shouldn't have a problem. Go for it you will have fun and learn new things about your rifles and it's addictive so be prepared to do more of them once you get your feet wet.
Shep
Thanks for the info. I have savages, and have a shilen 243ai on one action and it shoots easily .50 moa.
Also have a r700 that I'm wanting to rebarrel for a hunting rifle, if I had to put work into r700, I would rather just start with a origin action.

I've seen several "nut" barrels work exceptionally well.. I doubt you will see any at the super shoot at kelbly's but for many, they can work very well..
Brien

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.