Remage conversions

ppoole

I have been looking at remage conversions recently. Has anyone had good luck using them. I want to get a practice rig together that I can still shoot long range with, not hunt at long ranges. I have thought about some prs because it looks fun and why not. My gunsmith is really good but there time is getting to 6-8 months now. Not to mention his prices are getting higher and higher.

I have looked at
northland shooting
Bugholes.com (can get premium proven barrels)
Match grade machining

Don't forget Columbia River Arms. I use them exclusively for my match barrels. I've got their barrels with barrel-nut setups on Winchester, Remington, Mossberg and Savage. Every barrel has always been stupid accurate, long lasting and easy to load for.

Don't think of a barrel nut gun as a quick change barrel. It's not. It's an easy change barrel.

Most barrel makers anymore that make drop-in pre-fits for savages offers it for Remmy's too. You'll have a hard time finding a "bad" one.

I have one from McGowen. The action is a "blue printed" Rem 700 SA from PTG. barrel is a 26" medium palma, 1:8, .260 Rem.
It prints a pretty decent group, right around .6 MOA using 130 gr. factory eld match but its really not broke in yet. I have it off to my smithy for some stock inlay work.

BallisticsGuy is right, The industry apparently flexed to the demands of kitchen gunsmiths far and broad because "nut jobs" are popular nowadays. About the only mainstream rifle you cant nut on is Winchester CRF's and various other space agey rifles with cool gismos that require a cut on the face of the breach...

Getting a barrel nut for your PRS rig is a smart move, especially if you are one of those people who swears to never let the barrel get too hot- but then you run it so hot you can cook bacon on that sucker. barrel changes can be done in 30 mins and you can get a good group established before the next weekends match.

I took my childhood Rem 721 that had been setting in a safe for over 15 years and with Northland Shooting help, I changes it into a 280 AI and gave the old girl a new life. If it will stop raining and the wind blowing on the weekends I hope to finish load development. The only thing that is original is the bolt and action.

I know it's not a quick change I'm just tired of waiting 10 months for a good smith to install a barrel. Or getting a rifle that has .012 too much headspace. I also like the idea of just doing it myself, I have patience but no lathe or money to buy lathe much less learn how to use one.

I want 6.5x47 but the Creedmoor just is readily available as far as components. Lapua is proud of that brass, but adg makes great brass and much cheaper.

Don't forget Columbia River Arms. I use them exclusively for my match barrels. I've got their barrels with barrel-nut setups on Winchester, Remington, Mossberg and Savage. Every barrel has always been stupid accurate, long lasting and easy to load for.

Don't think of a barrel nut gun as a quick change barrel. It's not. It's an easy change barrel.

Most barrel makers anymore that make drop-in pre-fits for savages offers it for Remmy's too. You'll have a hard time finding a "bad" one.
I've scanned their website and can not figure out if their barrels are button rifled or cut? Also thay list Savage prefits but it's kind of unclear if they do Remage...I believe you though.

I may try to call them.

Tbrice I found it on the website that they do the remage barrels, but I'm assuming you need to call to get more information.

I did a remage conversion on a Remington titanium action. The rifle was a really light weight 7mm-08, the barrel was not much thicker than the bullet haha... never could get it to shoot good. I switched it to a 6.5 Creed, its a tack driver now. I bought the barrel on ebay, and no, I don't remember who made the barrel. It was really easy, but you will need the proper tools and go and no go gauges for your caliber. I think it was Brownell's that a really good vid on line on how to do it, and I bought most of the tools from them.

I have a half dozen or so and love them, they all have 4 different barrels each they fall between 22-250 and 500 RUM yes that's right 500 but it is a .501 and not a .510. I found the bullet selection a lot better they go from 250gr all the way to 700gr, the .510 is limited to 50 BMG and Barnes originals which I don't think are even produced any more. they other barrels are 375 RUM and a 300RUM 17 twist which I shoot 110gr Sierra HPs at speeds that are near what a rail gun produces. In the pic is my 338 EDGE which has a 34" 12 twist in which I shoot 160gr Barnes TTSXs at speeds that rival my 220 swiftAI.

upload_2019-5-6_10-34-31.png

Last edited:
I bought a factory .223 Remington varmint sps a long time ago and it wouldn't shoot so I bought all the tools to take the barrel off, found a few places doing the "remage" conversions, settled on NSS with a criterion 24" LV .224V 1-6.5". Thing shoots great. Just measured the twist on it with a cleaning rod and it is more of a 1-7 twist than 1-6.5 but, no big deal.
It shoots sub moa pretty easy, shot it at 600 and 5 shots is sub moa and 10 shots 1/2 moa. I took it to 1083 and got 10-15 shots on a 24"x24" plate with 3 different seating depth loads, first time going beyond 400yrds at all and the Valkyrie did it all very easily!!
All in all I WILL be doing more of these conversions when I need to.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.