Rem bolt knob

noneck180

I was wondering today if there would be anyway to make a knob that would slide over the Rem handle after the factory knob was cut off? leaving enough room for JB weld. The knob could be center bored so that a a guy could tap the the bolt handle, and install a set screw aswell. Small grooves could be put in the handle to allow more JB to grab on to. Would this be to hard to machine because of the taper in the handle?

Yeah that is sort of what I was thinking..I mean there has to be an easier way than to mill the end round and thread it..:)

I would do this and thread the handle or install a tactical handle
bolt-handle-threading-jig.png

Anyone had a chance to see/feel/use one of these KRG knobs???
I ordered one yesterday. Should have it early next week. I'll report back once I get it on. I've been contemplating a new (bigger) knob on my Sendero any way, and this seems like a relatively inexpensive experiment to figure out if I'll really like a bigger/longer bolt knob. If I do like it, I'll probably have a real knob installed by a smith (and I'll have a really cheap KRG knob for sale :D). Unless, of course, this thing is just too good to give up. :D

--Ben

Got the KRG knob in the mail today. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much, but I was actually really surprised. The knob came packaged in a pretty nice box with full installation instructions, multiple fitment washers (o-rings), epoxy for permanent installation and a KRG sticker.

Installation was a snap and it fits really well on my Sendero SF II with the smaller set of o-rings. Clearance isn't an issue (I was a little worried about this) with either the stock or the scope. The knob seems well designed, well thought out and well made. Only time (at the range and in the field) will tell how the thing will hold up, but I'm not sure what's not to love at this point.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/62044395@N08/5639204945/"]2011-04-20_20-05-25_607 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/62044395@N08/5639204313/"]2011-04-20_20-02-23_588 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/62044395@N08/5639778374/"]2011-04-20_20-03-07_797 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Always happy to be pleasantly surprised by a vendor,
--Ben
9Ajpat

Can the complete handle be replaced without any machine work, would be nice just to take the bolt apart and install a different one.

Without any machine work, yes, they are soldered on. I don't know of anyone who does this tho. Most replace the knob on existing handle. Alot of guys are getting pretty good at it. For a couple of outfits, this is about all they do. I think the cheapest I have seen is $60, you send them your bolt.

Without any machine work, yes, they are soldered on. I don't know of anyone who does this tho. Most replace the knob on existing handle. Alot of guys are getting pretty good at it. For a couple of outfits, this is about all they do. I think the cheapest I have seen is $60, you send them your bolt.
This guy will replace the entire handle:
Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Most people are just having the knob replaced, though.

--Ben

azprecisiongunsmithing.com will install one of their knobs on your Rem or Sav for $90.00. You go to their site and pick one out, send them your bolt and $90.00 and they will fix you up. And you will find them good to ddo business with. Mickey D

All methods are not equal. I don't like the idea of using a small machine screw as a stud to mount the handle. I prefer to mill/cut/grind/sand (take your pick) down the handle and thread the original handle shank for a replaceable knob. This could even be done at home with a grinder/sander and a threading die. I believe this is the most durable method.

That big plastic looking knob is surely something.................

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.