MCR Bolt Knob Installation Pics

Kevin Cram

I was setting up to install a customer bolt knob today and thought I'd share some photos of the process. Hope you enjoy

Prior to factory knob being turned down
BoltKnobPrep1.jpg

Factory knob turned down to .312"
BoltKnobPrep2.jpg

Handle single point threaded 5/16 - 24 tpi.
BoltKnobPrep3.jpg

KMW Grenade style knob installed
BoltKnobPrep4.jpg

Bolt all cleaned up and back in rifle
BoltKnobKMWstyle.jpg

Very nice, Kevin.
I would like it better if it was tapered back into the original bolt handle.
Would that be a hard process to do?
Also, what does this cost as I have some interest.

I must agree, it is a pretty long knob. Trueblue, do you mean trying to blend the round knob into a rectangular handle? Here's another knob I made, it's also pretty long but I just make whatever the customer wants. This one blended in pretty well I think. Badger knobs blend in good too.

IMG_0116.jpg

Had not thought about how difficult blending a round knob to a square bolt, but that looks good.

I believe that jig is available through Pacific Tool

I've had this fixture that I built for about 5 years. I must admit it's not 100% my idea. I seen the original one Nate Lambeth built and built my own just by looking at his. It took a little bit of design getting the angles correct. The one Pacific Tool has doesn't have any support under the handle. You'll need to center drill the knob and use a live center for support. I built mine with enough support and clamping surface I don't need a live center. .020" per pass at .006" per rev. it only takes about an hour to set up, turn, thread and install the new bolt knob.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.