bolt knob

Trever

What is everyone's preferred bolt knob style? For hunting, shooting, matches, etc....

Just curious, I see a lot of factory but also see a lot of oversized knobs.

I've spent about 20 years running factory ruger bolt knobs very comfortably. Last year I had a custom rifle built on a savage 111 action with factory bolt knob. I had no difficulty getting used to the slight difference in shape. I run my bolts using the method of bolt manipulation Darrell Holland demonstrates in his video (find on youtube if you aren't familiar) where the technique is basically all fingertips and wrist action, rather than a "grip it and rip it" style that some folks like to use with oversize or "tactical" style knobs. I am currently building a second savage custom, and am staying with the factory knob on it as well.

In the early days of practicing the technique, I accidently poked myself in the eye with my thumb on the end of the backstroke. I had inadvertently "crawled the stock" (moving my face too far forward, should definitely have noticed the vignetting of the field of view). It isn't something you do twice. With a proper length of pull to the stock, a good cheek weld and eye-relief, it all works very well. On video I hit the gong once every 3 and half seconds without feeling rushed.

What is everyone's preferred bolt knob style? For hunting, shooting, matches, etc....

I prefer a larger than factory bolt knob, both for hunting and tactical, but I try always to preserve the factory bolt handle angle and I don't want something knurled or fluted. Just a plain smooth surface knob. If I can find a machinist who will take the time to mill the front lower portion of the knob at the correct angle, I like it to be flattened along the lower front side with the edges of the "plateau" rounded off so my hand lifts the handle straight up precisely the same every time I cycle the bolt. Enlarging the bolt knob usually means that the finished bolt handle will be longer than factory but that provides a slight amount of increased leverage that helps in rapid cycling when I have to crank out three shots in thirty to forty five seconds in a match.. gun)

Most of the guns I build are based off remington 700 actions and I almost always install a ptg oversized bolt knob as part of the build I like em and most of my customers do too as it allows them to manipulate the bolt handle more easily while wearing bulky gloves plus to some people it adds that final custom look that separates that rifle from others

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.