REM-AGE builds

What are the thoughts on REM-AGE builds? I did my first one and love it. Why do people turn their nose up to REM-AGE?
I have no problem with the locking nut on a barrel, Remington or Savage. I have never done a Remington but have done a few Savages. The barrels that I replaced were all factory barrels and were replaced with aftermarket pre-fits (Lothar Walther, Shilen and Pac-Nor).
Good for you on doing your own. It's quiet an accomplishment when you can screw your own barrel(s) on and kill a big game animal for the freezer or get sub MOA groups as far as you can shoot!
As for "the turning up of noses" that's usually because someone thinks they or what they have is better than you or yours. Just pompous snobs I say.
I hear people, this forum especially, say the barrel nut is ugly and I can see no reason why they would say that, other than they heard someone else say or put it that way. Kinda "monkey see, monkey do" thing I guess. They never have a sound basis in logic or fact, just "it's ugly".
Patriot Valley Arms make some aesthetically pleasing barrel nuts for those types mentioned earlier. May be it's because they're afraid that rifle with the barrel nut, put together by Joe Schmo at HIS house it going to shoot just as good, may be better than his, which he waited months for the gunsmith to put together and paid a decent months wage for. Who knows what makes a person tick, or not tick?
Let's see your Remage.

I just think they are ugly. Straight up that's my only issue with them.
-Compared to all the junk that hangs off of ARs, remage looks streamline. LOL. I get it, but as the famous Architect Louis Sullivan said "Form follows function". :)
I have no problem with the locking nut on a barrel, Remington or Savage. I have never done a Remington but have done a few Savages. The barrels that I replaced were all factory barrels and were replaced with aftermarket pre-fits (Lothar Walther, Shilen and Pac-Nor).
Good for you on doing your own. It's quiet an accomplishment when you can screw your own barrel(s) on and kill a big game animal for the freezer or get sub MOA groups as far as you can shoot!
As for "the turning up of noses" that's usually because someone thinks they or what they have is better than you or yours. Just pompous snobs I say.
I hear people, this forum especially, say the barrel nut is ugly and I can see no reason why they would say that, other than they heard someone else say or put it that way. Kinda "monkey see, monkey do" thing I guess. They never have a sound basis in logic or fact, just "it's ugly".
Patriot Valley Arms make some aesthetically pleasing barrel nuts for those types mentioned earlier. May be it's because they're afraid that rifle with the barrel nut, put together by Joe Schmo at HIS house it going to shoot just as good, may be better than his, which he waited months for the gunsmith to put together and paid a decent months wage for. Who knows what makes a person tick, or not tick?
Let's see your Remage.
Thanks for the great response. I will post a photo of the build, great idea. Let me work on getting some photos and get them posted.

So this started life as a Remington 700 titanium 7mm-08. The drinking straw, size barrel would not group. I changed it to 6.5 creedmoor, I wanted a lightweight rifle with low recoil for carrying around with my climber. This gun shoots good, I couldn't be happier with it, I'm getting consistent .5 MOA - 5 shot groups with Berger VLD 130 HPBT. I did change and bed the stock as well as swap the barrel. As a buddy told me once, in one of those awkward situations, after surfing when it was cold "It may not be big, but it makes me happy".:)

Attachments

• IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 112
Let's see your Remage.

or guys don't like them because they are indeed ugly?

So this started life as a Remington 700 titanium 7mm-08. The drinking straw, size barrel would not group. I changed it to 6.5 creedmoor, I wanted a lightweight rifle with low recoil for carrying around with my climber. This gun shoots good, I couldn't be happier with it, I'm getting consistent .5 MOA - 5 shot groups with Berger VLD 130 HPBT. I did change and bed the stock as well as swap the barrel. As a buddy told me once, in one of those awkward situations, after surfing when it was cold "It may not be big, but it makes me happy".:)

although that is a pretty sharp looking rifle.

or guys don't like them because they are indeed ugly?
UGLY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEER HOLDER

I have experience with 2, 6xc s, a 6.5 284 and a 22 250 from Northland Shooters and they all shoot at least .5 MOA. Both 6xc s shoot .25. I dont know if people turn there noses up at them, but re sale is definitely poor and for good reason. You never know what Garage gunsmith has put it together.

I have a Remington 7mm mag I just did with a criterion barrel got it all the trigger barrel, action, nut, recoil lug, headspace gauges, lug tool for the nss action wrench to hold the recoil lug from Northland Shooter Supply. Yea I agree it looks a little better with a shoulder but this is very easy to do. I previously bought the action wrench for a project on a savage. The gun does shoot very very good.

I've built three. Two were "project" rifles pieced together from used parts purchased on various gun boards, starting with trued 700 actions. I collected triggers, stocks, bottom metal, scopes, etc., before deciding on cartridge. The only "new" components were the McGowen barrels. The .22-250 Ackley and .260 Ackley I built this way are both fine shooters, as is the .243 Ackley I built on a Model 7 my kids outgrew.

Here's the 22-250. Remages? I like 'em.
22-250-01.jpg

Last edited:
I started modifying guns with a Savage 110 action (now I have four), made a set of wood blocks to hold the barrel in my vise and began a long road of changing and ordering barrels. I buy Shilen barrels mostly. Began having them completed but since my brother gave me his old 12 x 36" Craftsman lathe I buy blanks to turn, thread and chamber. I have moved on to using lock nuts on Remingtons (RAMAGE) and on Ruger American 1x16 thread. Will use that when I get my hands on a Model 70. In addition I worked up a barrel to put on a AR-15 I built, including an 80% lower to mill. On the AR I threaded the barrel shank long enough to permit use of a lock nut I made from a Grade 8 nut for a local hardware store, bored out and threaded and trimmed a bit to be 1" od but with flats for my trusty crescent wrench to grip. Easy to set headspace on any of these weapons. changing barrels is fast and easy. A perfect barrel properly chambered with correct headspace that is floated the key to accuracy. Of course the action needs to be fitted to the stock and all accessories properly installed with screws properly torqued. If the centerline of the bullet is exactly aligned with the centerline of the barrel you will have an accurate weapon. What a great hobby. On the bad days, HAM radio is the next best hobby.

Way back in my beginning days of BR shooting, I had a 100-200yd BR rifle that had a locking shroud that worked the same as the current nut system. The shroud was, I believe, 6 inches long and added stiffness to the action/barrel area. It was turned to very precisely fit the barrel, and in those days, I saw a few of these. Then I went to and extended tube 3 screw action, BR 22, that did fairly much the same without the shroud.

Last edited:
Tried a NSS trued action, Criterion varmint barrel, NSS nut, Timney trigger, Magpul Hunter. First try: MOA or slightly better, 220 yds, 13* downhill, PigSaddle/tripod, standing, first loads. It shoots way better than I do. May build another, or try a .308 Win on this on, after I rebuild my budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.