REM-AGE builds

I recently built one chambered in 6.5CM for my son. I built it on a Big Horn Origin action. I'm sure i could've gotten a smith to spin up a barrel for me for not much more cost but i wanted to put it together myself for him. I went with a Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supply and couldn't be happier. I think it looks good and it shoots like a laser. Haven't taken it to distance yet but is shooting 1 hole groups at 100yds with very low SDs.
2F4B2CA0-CA23-49AD-878E-CF28A735433B.jpeg
C151D354-FB92-40C5-90AE-913890089EF0.jpeg

What are the thoughts on REM-AGE builds? I did my first one and love it. Why do people turn their nose up to REM-AGE?

I think that "savage arms" has a really bad aftertaste to saying for most people. I personally think that easily switched barrels is a good thing. I was the only gunsmith in California that would service and repair Savage arms before I moved back to Nevada. you put a good barrel on a savage receiver, put a Trigger Basix trigger on them and do not have an AXIS or AXISII then you put on a good stock.. then you have a really great gun,, accurate, easy to shoot and easy on the budget. I have done some wonderful Savage custom rifles for people.
If you are up for some work, are good with your hands, and enjoy a bit of a challenge you can make a really good rifle in your garage over a few days.
I see no problems with "Rem-Age" guns. Some of the aftermarket Remington style receivers, bolts, and striker systems- with the abundance of nice stocks makes building a rem-age somewhat of a fun project. besides the pride of building a potential 1/4" gun in your home by yourself. then being able to shoot with confidence out to a 1,000 yards could very well put a great big smile on your face.

that is a long way from a savage action in a flexing plastic stock with an aftermarket bbl.
I recently built one chambered in 6.5CM for my son. I built it on a Big Horn Origin action. I'm sure i could've gotten a smith to spin up a barrel for me for not much more cost but i wanted to put it together myself for him. I went with a Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supply and couldn't be happier. I think it looks good and it shoots like a laser. Haven't taken it to distance yet but is shooting 1 hole groups at 100yds with very low SDs.View attachment 157779 View attachment 157780

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. That why I built a target rifle on a Savage action. It was pre rem-age and I knew I'd be burning barrels up every year and I don't have to wait 3 months for a gunsmith to mount my barrel. I've had a shilen and now a bartlein, both shoot ragged bug holes.
I wouldn't exactly call them switch barrels bu today's standards. The stock, scope has to be removed, depending on your tools. My next build will be on a Curtis action or use a WTO switchlug and shouldered barrels. Then I can truly switch barrels without even taking the action out of the stock. .223 trainer and some 6mm target cartridge.

that is a long way from a savage action in a flexing plastic stock with an aftermarket bbl.
It was a lot of fun to piece together. and the look on my 9 year old's face when I told him "dad built this" was priceless. I have it bedded in a Grayboe stock and added a trigger tech trigger. This rifle is absolutely boring to shoot.

I've been a custom Smith for 30 yrs and I think the barrel nut system is a fine way to put a barrel on. I think the barrel nut puts bolt actions in the same boat as an AR as far as ease of assembly. I think it's great that folks are taking the time to learn how to assemble their own firearms. I've built customs in my shop for 30 years and have never built my own barrel. Why. Because I can't. But I still made custom rifles. I didn't build any of the custom actions they were on either. I couldn't if I tried. So the home builder buys a prefit because that's what he can get because he can't thread or chamber a barrel on his own. You work with what you can. You make what you can. You buy what you can't. I for one think it's absolutely awesome you guys are building these for yourself. It only furthers our sport and brings more people into it. And the sense of pride you get after you harvest game with a rifle you built and loads you built for it. I for one don't know why anyone would snub their nose on a rifle with a barrel nut.
Shep

I have a Remington 7mm mag I just did with a criterion barrel got it all the trigger barrel, action, nut, recoil lug, headspace gauges, lug tool for the nss action wrench to hold the recoil lug from Northland Shooter Supply. Yea I agree it looks a little better with a shoulder but this is very easy to do. I previously bought the action wrench for a project on a savage. The gun does shoot very very good.
I'm going about this the same way you did, and in the process of building a lighter weight 280 AI. Just waiting on the barrel to come back from Criterion (had it threaded for a muzzle brake). I need a project.

Remage is a post gunsmith way for folks to attain a level of accuracy that has previously been unattainable to them. Not to mention the pride in accomplishment. The ugly argument is a paper tiger. We all appreciate finely crafted firearms but few can afford them, or care to endure the waiting time. Precision manufacturing has placed a high degree of accuracy in the hands of average folks willing to learn and work.
That said I still hold in the utmost regard all the craftsmen that combine accuracy with art.

I've never had anyone at the range really turn their nose up at any of my (or my son's) savage or remage builds. Are factory guns great these days, yes and many will shoot well below sub-moa. BUT if you like reloading, then assembling your own savage/remage rifle with good components will typically yield great accuracy. We've built .223, .243AI, 6.5cm, .308, 6.5-06, 7RM, 300WM, 300PRC and a few others. None of them shoot over .5moa and with load development most are in the .3 or less range. So I say to the naysayers TURN YOUR NOSE UP and smell the gun powder of my incredibly accurate and not crazy expensive rifle!

One of my cheapest builds is absolutely a bug hole shooter for what it is.
- Factory new magnum action
- Choate ultimate sniper stock 40 inch pound torque
- Black Hole Weaponry 7mag barrel (on clearance) 65ft pound torque
- Trigger Tech Special
- Precision nut & lug
- DNZ 1 piece tactical base/ring combo 30mm
- SWFA 16x
All in at about $1200 and it shoots great in the .3-.5 range and I'm not that great of a shot nor have I even started load development. Yes that is with factory cheap-ish ammo. It fit my goals of being inexpensive & accurate. IF you tune the factory trigger with an ErnieTheGunSmith spring take $150 off the price, Used Choate stock take another $100 off the price & you're under 1000 bucks. I can't see the ugly nut through the scope any how. :)

2 thoughts

1. The ugly barrel nut comments are a cheap shot for most of the guns they're going on. I wouldn't put one on a rifle I built with blued steel and a Turkish Walnut stock. But, on a synthetic stock with a tactical looking action they are perfectly at home aesthetically.

2. Yes there is Gunsmithing savings. But I find the real savings to be in the fact that I can run so many barrels on one action. Personally I have three that I run on a Savage action with a manners carbon fiber stock. The stock, action, mounts, and Optics comes to about $2,500. The barrels range from 400 to $600. I effectively have three different rifle setups for $4,000. If I built three completely separate rifles with the same components I'd be looking at $9,000. And yes there is real satisfaction in doing these projects yourself.

Oh, they all shot too.

Why do people turn their nose up to REM-AGE?

This is the question ^

why don't a lot of guys like them?

Bc they are ugly. That's it. It's ok if they are ugly. They can still shoot, you can swap barrels by yourself, you can run a switch gun platform, and have the satisfaction of building your own rifle.

You can't post a question like this asking why and then everyone get annoyed when someone tells the why. If guys are spending a lot of money on a custom rifle, I know a lot of people want them to have a certain look.

They are ugly. That's the answer to why guys "turn their noses up." That's it. That's the only real reason.

This is the question ^

why don't a lot of guys like them?

Bc they are ugly. That's it. It's ok if they are ugly. They can still shoot, you can swap barrels by yourself, you can run a switch gun platform, and have the satisfaction of building your own rifle.

You can't post a question like this asking why and then everyone get annoyed when someone tells the why. If guys are spending a lot of money on a custom rifle, I know a lot of people want them to have a certain look.

They are ugly. That's the answer to why guys "turn their noses up." That's it. That's the only real reason.
Quit sugar coating things.

Oh, they all shot too.
Remage, or any switch barrel is not for me. Not saying anything is wrong going that route though.
One question, you say they shoot, give us the degree of accuracy you are experiencing. This is what separates a lot things.
I had a friend go remage, 2 prefits, not naming brand. The 6.5x47 was impressive, the 22-250 barrel was not at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.