Opinions on Rem-age barrels for model 700

Dosh

My friend has a 700 with a front scope mount screw hole drilled and tapped through to the chamber, we can see a chambered case with a LED light! He purchased it from a friend that bought it new. He would like to do a McGowan Rem-age barrel, but would like to hear some feedback first. Price, accuracy, how long a wait and quality. Thanks in advance for first hand replies.

I'd be throwing a Hillary fit that was my new rifle.

I'd highly suggest Criterion.
I bought mine from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply about $350 or so, it took about 4 days from phone call to load development.

Attachments

• 20161112_194751.jpg
    20161112_194751.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 20161112_194823.jpg
    20161112_194823.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 149
I'd be throwing a Hillary fit that was my new rifle.

I'd highly suggest Criterion.
I bought mine from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply about $350 or so, it took about 4 days from phone call to load development.

23, nice grouping, what contour and how much inletting for the barrel nut? I can't get a straight story on the factory rifle issue. I found the defect when I noticed the hole being very deep and with the light I didn't see barrel threads. Apparently no one was interested enough to send it back to Remington. My friend won't shoot it and wanted to rebarrel ASAP. Thanks

It is a light varmint taper, .730"at 24".
If your stock is bedded already it only takes a few minutes with a dremel to relieve it to accommodate the barrel nut. I leave the nut un-bedded (floated), makes life easier if I re-barrel or swith cartridges.

Attachments

• 20161113_060802.jpg
    20161113_060802.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 124
23, noticed the yardage and the ease of inletting. He is mulling over the options and caliber. The defective barrel is in 7mm Rem which he wanted since he has a .257Wby and a 300Wby. Thanks for the info.

+1 for the Criterion option, although I may be just a little biased :D

That said, I can assure you if you take the Criterion route we'll get you a shooter. In the extremely unlikely case it doesn't prove to meet your expectation, we'll troubleshoot, inspect, repair, or replace the barrel until you get one that does!

That said, I can assure you if you take the Criterion route we'll get you a shooter. In the extremely unlikely case it doesn't prove to meet your expectation, we'll troubleshoot, inspect, repair, or replace the barrel until you get one that does!

Are you guys eventually going to offer more cartridges?

My gunsmith suggested Criterion to my friend. Impressive reply, Criterion needs to be a sponsor on this forum!

Are you guys eventually going to offer more cartridges?

We occasionally add reamers as demand increases for particular configurations (we track the number of requests received for reamer options not currently inventoried).

The nature of the pre-fit system may preclude it from safely accommodating some cartridges (specifically those with large diameter case dimensions and very high chamber pressures). If you have a custom reamer on hand that we don't list on our website, you're always welcome to forward us a copy of the prints and we'll see if it can be accommodated.

If your chamber design of choice is something a pre-fit can't accommodate, we have a pretty solid supply of blanks on hand that can be spun up by a gunsmith utilizing the traditional installation method.

I have had 4 Criterion tubes and all have shot very well, cleaned easily and lasted well past what I figured they would.

I just read of this today. Seems the coolest thing out there. I find Savage has some quirks, I don't care for. But I like being able to work on things myself. This seems the best of both worlds.

Also Criterion offers lots of barrels. McGowan doesn't. One reason I want to do this, is a little heavier than stock. So I can do more shooting before it walks.

I wish they had an estimate on their site, about lead time. Working on a used 700.

I never understood guys who are bothered by Savage nuts. It's just a nut. I never even knew it was there until I read people saying I should be offended by the sight of it. I

I have 2 and they both shoot great very happy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts