Opinions on Rem 700 SPS Tactical 223

grumpyBD

Hey, I'm just trolling around trying to get everyone's opinion on the new Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 223 caliber. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to my Rem 700 LTR in 308 for a truck gun. I know I could get another LTR in 223, however they're around $850 to $1000 here in this area. Good or bad, don't pull any punches and give it to me straight. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments, Tom

Thanks anyway oldfamily, Those are 2 different models of SPS. I was looking for the Tactical version instead. Thanks again, Tom

I have a 308 SPS Tactical...the stock is pure junk, but after I "whittled" on it some to get it freefloated when using the bipod...that thing will shoot.

.418 MOA so far....I have only had a week or so. I may be able to do better...load development is still ongoing.

I did have to send it back to Remington, it had a few problems with the ejector. They fixed it, paid all shipping fees, and sent it back with a nicely "tuned" X Mark trigger.

I had already adjusted the other trigger to 28 ounces, so I didn't send it in, I only sent them the barreled action...no stock either.

Customer service was great...but you will probably not need it...I imagine the 223 will be good to go too.

EDITED TO ADD: I bought mine off Gunbroker...from Sportsmans Safari for $560

Last edited:
ive got the REM 700 SPS 223 USING hornady 55 GR v-max can't fault it .
i set the scope at 100mts and i was shooting balloon at 300 mts with no problem . hope this helps

all the best W.D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.