remington 700 sps tactical

mvf22

hey all , my name is mike im new to the fourm. this spring i am going to taking a long range shoooting class, i dont yet have a rifle but i am in the market for one. i was considering the 700 sps tactical in .308 to get me started and then when the funds allow for it i would make some up grades to it. i was wondering what your guy's thoughts are on this rifle and possibly what this rifle is accurate out to ?

Hi Mike,

you're off to a good start here, and assuming the rifle shoots accurately to start with, should do you fine for some time to come. As far as the effective range question, that's a bit subjective. The 308 is very widely used as a 1,000 yard target cartridge, but those are specialty rifles built just for that purpose; very specific throating, specialized chambers and bullets matched to this type of shooting. With a standard off-the-rack rifle, given some good long range ammo like the M118LR or a commercial equivalent, I'd say 700-800 yards shouldn't be out of reach, assuming you're willing got put in the trigger time.

I'f you're handloading already, you can get a head start here by selecting bullets that are suitable for these distances, basically a 175 grain and up. Don't hesitate to ask questions here, and you'll find more than a few answers to ponder. Welcome to the site!

I bought one of these Remington 700 SPS Tacticals. I expected good things of it with the short stiff barrel. Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. I could barely get 1 MOA groups out of it - and that only with a sandbag under the action. Off a bipod or with the sandbag under the forend - minute of barn door!

I sent it over to a custom 'smith, who is free-floating the barrel, and fixing the fact that the bolt handle doesn't close fully. Apparently he's had to take a lot of material out to get the bolt to lock-up properly. I was really disappointed. I had thought Big Green's quality control problems were behind it, but apparently, that is not the case.

He's also putting new bottom metal on it to accept a detachable magazine. Trying to load cartridges through that tiny ejection port under time pressure at a match is an exercise in frustration.

The choice of a Hogue Overmoulded stock is OK, but they should have gone the extra few yards and used the version with the full-length aluminium bedding. And what is the deal with only one sling attachment point in the forend? Two is pretty much standard on tactical rifles.

Will report back when I get the rifle back with the work done. Here's hoping that all the problems are fixed.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle and mine is a phenomenal shooter. With federal 168 gr gold medal match it shoots under 1/2" consistent groups all day everyday. I have shot some 175gr sierra matchkings that shot one hole. Unfortunately i dont reload, so i stick with the federals

I also have the SPS tac in .308, and I consistently shoot around .5MOA with 168gr AMAX. I switched out the stock on here and went with a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 3 w/ "Hook". I had a hard time shooting sub moa before I did that. Now, as my grandpa says, "shes tits on" haha.

I also have the SPS tac in .308, and I consistently shoot around .5MOA with 168gr AMAX. I switched out the stock on here and went with a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 3 w/ "Hook". I had a hard time shooting sub moa before I did that. Now, as my grandpa says, "shes tits on" haha.

My experience has been similar. Despite the overall low cost and non-free floated barrel the rifle will still produce around .5-.75MOA with FGMM 168 SMK. Handloads with 168 grain AMAX will consistently produce <=.5 MOA.

A stock and trigger upgrade certainly couldn't hurt as the $ becomes available.

.....well I thought I would ask mvf22 what type of long range class he was going to attend and when in the spring. I was thinking the answer to those 2 questions would help me make a more meaningful reply.....until I realized he has only one post....this thread and that was back in November of 2010! I am curious as how that class, over a year ago, turned out for him.

Best Regards.....Eagle Six

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.