REM-AGE builds

but it AINT A REMAGE...so why post in a remage thread ?
Sorry it's not a "Remage". The original post was asking about the looks of barrel nut and accuracy of prefit barrels. Or at least that's what i took it as. I was just sharing my recent experience with prefit barrels and my thoughts of how barrel nut looks. There's a few posts mentioning savage actions. Pretty sure those aren't "Remage" either.

Some will say their ugly no matter what. I don't like the way they look either. But they do serve a purpose and they work just fine that's why I never stubbed anyone who uses one. Besides my old buddy kicked my butt at the range so many times with those ugly barrel nut guns he had. Sony Biggs from Cumberland MD. Was an unbelievable shooter and person and I remember him every day when in my shop. He really made them 219.00 savages shoot great. Wish he was still here with us. He would have loved this sight.
Shep

Sorry, now I'm confused. What exactly does define Remage? I thought it was any Remington action or Remington clone that accepted small shank Savage pre fits and used a barrel nut.

I threw my Savage experience in here because I thought it was applicable with regard to the effectiveness of a barrel nut system.

Any Remington action won't fit a small shank savage barrel. Wrong threads. My understanding of Remage is a Remington with a 16 pitch threaded nut holding on the barrel. I suppose if you have a clone with an 18 or 20 pitch and use the appropriate nut you could call it a Remage or Remage style rifle. I think the Savage part of Remage just means it uses a barrel nut. I could be wrong but that's what I built and the customers called them Remage.
Shep

What are the thoughts on REM-AGE builds? I did my first one and love it. Why do people turn their nose up to REM-AGE?

No issues. Built a couple. This one shot exceptional.

F99F298E-ACFE-4B46-A4DC-990C7192E00B.jpeg

Nice looking rifle!
Brent, their seems to be a lot of disagreement on this subject, as there is with bullets and other things. Some say that match winning accuracy is unlikely with a Remage but yet many factory Savages do quite well. I wonder why a Remage with a quality barrel would not do great. I have a M700 .270 in my safe, I would like to set up a Remage in the Wea. 6.5 RPM and have a 30-06 barrel. At 66 years old I would like to have a barrel that I know will always have ammo avail for who I pass it down to, then again if the RPM really takes off I may just screw a RPM tube on and forget it.

great lo
I recently built one chambered in 6.5CM for my son. I built it on a Big Horn Origin action. I'm sure i could've gotten a smith to spin up a barrel for me for not much more cost but i wanted to put it together myself for him. I went with a Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supply and couldn't be happier. I think it looks good and it shoots like a laser. Haven't taken it to distance yet but is shooting 1 hole groups at 100yds with very low SDs.View attachment 157779 View attachment 157780
Great looking rifle!!!! and it is so rewarding to "do it yourself" and more so when it works out really well.

HA
This is the question ^

why don't a lot of guys like them?

Bc they are ugly. That's it. It's ok if they are ugly. They can still shoot, you can swap barrels by yourself, you can run a switch gun platform, and have the satisfaction of building your own rifle.

You can't post a question like this asking why and then everyone get annoyed when someone tells the why. If guys are spending a lot of money on a custom rifle, I know a lot of people want them to have a certain look.

They are ugly. That's the answer to why guys "turn their noses up." That's it. That's the only real reason.
HA! I didn't get annoyed. I was actually looking for litigate reasons people didn't like them. If you think because they are ugly is a ligit reason, so be it, but I was looking for factual reasons, safety, future issues, accuracy, etc. not subjective reasons. But ok, I respected your answer, I could have made a bunch of sophomoric replies to "because they are ugly", what purpose what that have served?

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.