REM-AGE builds

The accuracy of the rifle is a result of many things. A barrel nut or a shouldered barrel won't make a difference. Quality of barrel. Quality of chamber work and crown. Bedding. Loads. And so much more need to be right. So if his 22-250 didn't shoot great it wasn't the barrel nut. Some barrels are hummers and some are bummers.
Shep

The accuracy of the rifle is a result of many things. A barrel nut or a shouldered barrel won't make a difference. Quality of barrel. Quality of chamber work and crown. Bedding. Loads. And so much more need to be right. So if his 22-250 didn't shoot great it wasn't the barrel nut. Some barrels are hummers and some are bummers.
Shep
I fully understand this, on the other hand, I have never saw a custom chambered shouldered barrel not shoot.
Hence my baseline.

I fully understand this, on the other hand, I have never saw a custom chambered shouldered barrel not shoot.
Hence my baseline.

I sure have. Of course, one has to define "not shoot".

Saw a lot of different barrels, chambers, etc on the line through the years, and some were "miracles" and some were dogs.

You did say that your friends rifle had pre-fits on it. Some pre-fits are chambered with the same exacting detail that goes into a custom chambered shoulder barrel. Some are more generic. But your logic is that a prefit with a barrel nut didn't shoot good but all the custom chambered ones with shoulders do is not a fair comparison for yourself. Your sample size might be to limited also. All things being equal you won't see any difference in the accuracy between the 2. Being a custom Smith for 30 yrs I've seen quite a few. And 99% of the barreled I custom chamber don't have nuts on them. In fact I have never put a barrel nut back on a savage. But not because they are less accurate. The reason is 2 fold. 1. Once I measure your action I can make you as many barrels as you want for it. They all just screw on with no headspace gauges required. A simple barrel vise and a rear entry action wrench is all that's needed. Factory barrel removal needs a completely different set of tools though. Just a note.
Reason 2. They are ugly. Plain and simple. Ugly. I do agree with a previous poster when he said they look fine on tactical rifles. But I give the customer the choice and they all choose to lose the nut. Now the guys looking specifically for a Remage want the nut for a reason. I doubt many people say WOW that barrel nut is beautiful put one on my custom rifle. I'm sure someone said it but not to me. Ever. Like I said before I think it's a great way for people to do some tinkering and building of their own rifles. The barrel nut will live long and happy. On AR-7s. Remages. Savages or what ever you want to put one on. So my question is on ARs. The nut holds the extension to the receiver but the barrel is shouldered to the extension. So is it a shouldered nut or what?
Shep

Sorting through all that, with my limited knowledge, I would point to quality of barrel used in the prefit, and the detail involved as you stated.
But, in law of averages, way more one size fits all prefits than custom.
Edit: The cost has been a major factor in using nuts and prefits. And I do not doubt you turn out a good product.

Remage, or any switch barrel is not for me. Not saying anything is wrong going that route though.
One question, you say they shoot, give us the degree of accuracy you are experiencing. This is what separates a lot things.
I had a friend go remage, 2 prefits, not naming brand. The 6.5x47 was impressive, the 22-250 barrel was not at all.

Well I should have said that they are not ugly to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all... Am I saying they are beautiful, No, but to my eye they are utilitarian just like most of the pics of rifles you see posted here. That just fits my aesthetic.

As for accuracy, I have a new 25 CM Krieger that I have not done seating tests on yet. I tried 2 combos. 115 bergers, Alpha brass, BR2s, and Varget best charge tested shot .4 MOA at 300 yds. 131 BJs, resized Lapua 6.5 CM Brass (with poor runout, 2nd firing should be better), BR2s, H4350 Best charge also .4 at 300 yds. There was also horrible mirage so these loads may be better when I can see. I'll find out Sunday.

2nd barrel is a Criterion 260 AI it did not like the 143 ELDs I tried first (just under MOA), so I ran 140 vlds, Lapua brass, BR2s H4831 and it is in the .4s too. I do not like the throat on this chamber as loads are compressed well before pressure, but bc it is a prefit, I am going to have it throated longer and am going to spin it onto a LA that I have. +1 more point nut setups.

The 3rd barrel I am not going to disclose the maker bc I have not spent enough time with it to ring out all the accuracy. It's a 7 twist 308 that I had done in an 18" barrel for a compact deer blind gun for my mom. The first load I tried shot about .6 MOA which is plenty for her 150 yd max. so I stopped testing. This was set up to do dual purpose as a fun sub sonic gun with 240 gr bullets. It's a blast to shoot that way, but I have not found much accuracy yet.

I'm a little ADD on these so when they get sub. 05 moa I figure they are good enough to hunt with. I have only run BR2 primers and only 1 powder per bullet selection so I think these levels of accuracy are very good.

With some more barrel break in and some fine tuning on the seating depth they sound very promising.
I myself have never got my 308 subs to shoot real tight groups. Fun to shoot though.
Shep

Remage, or any switch barrel is not for me. Not saying anything is wrong going that route though.
One question, you say they shoot, give us the degree of accuracy you are experiencing. This is what separates a lot things.
I had a friend go remage, 2 prefits, not naming brand. The 6.5x47 was impressive, the 22-250 barrel was not at all.

In my 3 barrel switch, I average low .3's for 5 shots in the 22-250 and 243, and the 260AI groups .25-.30. The 2 perms with nuts, 223AI and 22-250AI, both with 1/8tw group in the high .1's to mid .2's running 75-80gr bullets.

My old 222 BR rifle from many decades ago which ran a threaded shroud similar to the barrel nut system ran in the low .1's (Hart barrel), and before setting back, it did shoot a few sub .1 groups.

With some more barrel break in and some fine tuning on the seating depth they sound very promising.
I myself have never got my 308 subs to shoot real tight groups. Fun to shoot though.
Shep

Suppressed, subsonic, in a bolt gun is really quiet. The bullet hitting a particle board backed target is louder than the gun. It shoots around 2 moa at 100. My buddy had a hog problem on his golf course in Dallas and this was going to be the solution, but he got a job at a different course so my dreams of nocturnal urban pig sniping disappeared.

With tweaking the other 2 should shoot better, but I am honestly not sure I can hold much better. My 7 rem Mag factory Savage with a barrel nut has had the most load development and it shoots .5 MOA out to 750 yds which is as far as I've shot it. They may not be benchrest accurate but neither am I and these are hunting guns.

I was shocked myself when I heard bullets hit without muffs on. Even going 1050 they smack pretty hard.
Seems your (nut job) guns are shooting real good. You seem to steer them pretty well too. Shep

^ Jesus, posts asked why some guys might not like them. :rolleyes:

Ugly is just a reason. Providing insight to why Someone wouldn't want to drop custom money on a barrel but.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.