rem 700 xcr tactical long range v. rem 700 5r

gilmillan1

Hello guys,

I am looking for a new project and I settled in a 308 caliber. I have narrowed it down to two rifles. Both are remington 700, but I am undecided as to which model to get. Both are around the same price range. The xcr has a longer barrel. Can anyone help me to decide why I should choose one model over the other?

I have had custom .308's and shot lots of factory .308's, and by far the best shooting factory Remington .308 is the 5R Milspec. I love mine, and wouldn't get rid of it for nothing. It is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I've shot. While still breaking it in, my first 100 rounds, I shot rounds 77-100 (24 shots) into a 1.286" group.

Have faith in the 5R.....Mine is the 24" non-threaded model.

2AB4E683-A2EA-491A-93A0-D6A4B695D38F-545-000000D5F11489CB.jpg

This was the overall measurement, before I subtracted .308 for the bullet diameter, which ended up being 1.286" after bullet subtraction.

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

Custom handloads...

Regular Lapua .308 Win brass (not Palma)
44.0gr of Varget, dead-on measurements
Nosler Custom Competition 168gr HPBT's
Federal 210 primers
COAL - SAAMI spec 2.810"

I also have a nasty little load for shooting the Berger 210 VLD's if you want it? But the trick with them is to shoot them pressed into the lands, so you have to shoot it as a single shot.

You might not want to decide too soon. I've got the Remington 700 XCR LRT in the 300 Win Mag. Great rifle. 26" fluted barrel, all nytrited stainless steel barrel and action, Rem. 40x trigger, B&C stock with aluminum bedding block, etc.
It has a 1 in 10" twist barrel and I'm shooting the Berger 210 gr. VLD at 2835 fps into 1/2 MOA groups out to 600 yards (longest range I have). I don't know what you have in mind for the gun, but anything a 308 will do, a 300 WM will do better.

You might not want to decide too soon. I've got the Remington 700 XCR LRT in the 300 Win Mag. Great rifle. 26" fluted barrel, all nytrited stainless steel barrel and action, Rem. 40x trigger, B&C stock with aluminum bedding block, etc.
It has a 1 in 10" twist barrel and I'm shooting the Berger 210 gr. VLD at 2835 fps into 1/2 MOA groups out to 600 yards (longest range I have). I don't know what you have in mind for the gun, but anything a 308 will do, a 300 WM will do better.
It'll even recoil better, burn more powder better, and crack brass better, too, huh? :D

For target shooting, everyone needs a .308 in their arsenal. It will make you a better shot, b/c it's slower than the 300 WM, and will help you learn how to judge wind-drift better. It's cheaper to shoot. Brass for the .308 Win lasts longer. It's barrel will last for 10,000+ rounds. Recoil is virtually nothing. And they are enjoyable to shoot all day without feeling like your arm fell off.

And personally, I think not only is the .308 a better learning gun for LR, but even advanced shooters will tell you that it's just plain enjoyable to shoot sometimes compared to a big-bore monster.

There's nothing wrong with the big bores, I have a few of them, but sometimes they just aren't enjoyable to sit and shoot all day, ya know?

It's all up to the OP in the end.....However, all I'm saying is, that just b/c something is bigger & faster, doesn't make it better for every situation.

Never laid hands on the XCR,, but the 5r's I've seen and shot have done really well.Cant guarantee you will get 10k+ rounds out of one nor will it "crack brass" but the recoil will be less than a unbraked 300.:)

Hello guys,

I am looking for a new project and I settled in a 308 caliber. I have narrowed it down to two rifles. Both are remington 700, but I am undecided as to which model to get. Both are around the same price range. The xcr has a longer barrel. Can anyone help me to decide why I should choose one model over the other?

Gilmillan
I may have misread your post. I read the 308 caliber as a 30 cal. bore size. If you meant the .308 Winchester chambering, then I got off on a tangent with the 300 Win. Mag.
Be that as it may, everything I said about the Rem. 700 XCR LRT is still true. One of the big advantages it has over the 700 Tactical 5R is the barrel twist rate. The XCR comes with a 1 in 10" twist rate while the other rifle has a 1 in 11 1/4" twist. That won't matter if you're shooting lighter bullets, but if you want to shoot the long, heavy VLD bullets, you'll want the faster twist. If you're set on the 5R rifling, I believe you can get the 700P in 300 Win. Mag. with the 5R rifling also.
If you're using the rifle for a medium range rifle the 308 Win. will do you a fine job. I have both guns that you looking at, the XCR in 300 WM and the Tactual in 308 Win. I live both of them. I use the XCR for long range big game hunting and the Tactical with a suppressor for short to medium work, subsonic and supersonic.

Just remember, you can make a 300 shoot like a 308, but you can't make a 308 shoot like a 300.

The XCR 308 Win. is 1 in 12" twist but the 300 WM is 1 in 10". In the Target Tactical, the 308 is 1 in 11.25". If you want a short, threaded barrel in a 1 in !0" twist the, 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD has a 20" barrel with the faster twist. This allows you to shoot the 220-230 grain bullet subsonic. Better killing power with the big bullets.

The choices are almost endless.

I was asking about those two rifles in 308 win because I have a custom 300 win mag that is currently being build.

Gil

My 5R .308 has an 11.25" twist and it shoots the 210 Berger VLD's like nobody's business...

I wouldn't say the twist rate is a handicap at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.