Remington 700 XCR tactical long range?

Pepperboy

Heyy i was looking at the remington 700 xcr tactical long range and i cant find any in depth reviews for it i was wondering if anybody has any experince with this rifle and if there is any better rifles for the same money.

oh yeah i was looking at the 300. rem mag version

Thanks - Jay
gun)

I've got one in the .300 win mag a couple seasons ago. Mine is very well made and extremely accurate, for a straight factory rig. The only thing I have done to it is a camo paint job. It comes with a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block. The barrel is a heavy contour with horizontal fluting. One of the best features is the adjustable 40x trigger. I have mine set on a crisp 2.5 lbs. Also, the anti-corrosive finish on the stainless steel action and barrel is a nice touch and seems to hold up very well, so far.

Mine shoots regular old factory Rem Cor-Lokts 150 gr sp, very well.

I handload with 180 grain SGK, and it will routinely shoot 0.5-0.75 MOA, if you do your part. Which, in my book, is very good for a factory rig.

As far as the cost, it is a bit pricey ($1200) when compared to a Savage, that would shoot just as good. But the coating and the stock are nice "extras". Overall, I like mine and will keep it. When I burn the barrel out, I'll just throw a custom tube on it. I will attempt to post a picture of it, below.

IMG000661.jpg

I looked at both the XCR Tactical and the Sendero in the same caliber. I went with the Sendero based on the stock.

The bell and carlson seemed to have a lot of flex in the forend, while the HS is stiff as a board. I would have liked the 40x trigger, but the new adjustable triggers aren't bad. I shoot from a bipod, and I think the "mush" in the forearm will change the POI when fired from the pod vs the bench.

For me the coating, trigger and "tactical" label didnt justify the extra cash.

Thanks for the input guys. And that rifle looks sweeettt!

Ive been looking at this rifle for a while now and this is the first horror story ive heard is on the stock.... well that and the price.

The "flex" in the end of the stock am i right when im thinking it flexes into the free floating barrel when using a bipod and in turn disrupts the grouping of shots? if so i could find a different stock that maintains the free floating barrel without any flex on the fore-end, however doing this would meen spending even more money on a rifle which was suppossed to be an "xtreme conditions rifle" in the first place, so that would meen its supposed to be sturdy.

santee have you noticed any of this "flex" in the stock?

Thanks - Jay

I haven't noticed any myself, but I will say that I usually don't shoot it with the bipod, I normaly use a caldwell rest, when shooting paper. I actually just got the bipod the other day and haven't had a chance to do much testing with it on or off. Don't know if it will make a difference, but I am no expert.

As I said, it shoots great for me. I don't know anyone else that has one personally, so I can only rely on my experiences.

The "flex" in the end of the stock am i right when im thinking it flexes into the free floating barrel when using a bipod and in turn disrupts the grouping of shots? if so i could find a different stock that maintains the free floating barrel without any flex on the fore-end, however doing this would meen spending even more money on a rifle which was suppossed to be an "xtreme conditions rifle" in the first place, so that would meen its supposed to be sturdy.

Thats my thinking on it. I think it would be fine off the bench, but my preference in the field is the bipod. Comes down to money and preference.

I will do some testing and see if I can tell a difference with/without the bi-pod. In theory, what you have said makes sense. Especially if you hunt with the bi-pod on. I hunt out of a stand 99.99% of the time with no bi-pod on it, so it wouldn't normally effect me.

I will say this, If I was buying a "long range factory rig" today, I would probably go with the Savage 111 long range hunter in 6.5x284 or 25-06. I like Remington, but I believe they have been surpassed by Savage on innovaiton and out of the box accuracy. Dammit, I may just buy another one anyway, these sites make me want way too many toys!

haha i know the feeling i only joined this site a week or 2 ago and it is an excellent help and i know the feeling of when you see a rifle you cat afford your face turns purple with envy haha and sweet please try that out im very interested to know if my theory works!:)

jaygun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.