700 XCR TACTICAL LONG RANGE would not eject

skeeterboud

brimming with excitement to shoot this gun after a 2 month search, i mounted an nxs and headed to the range only to be dissapointed. 300 win mag remington 700 xcr l.r. tactical. after the first shot i could not get the bolt to come back to eject the case. it felt as if the bolt was coming up fully, but it would not budge backwards. I ended up having to put a cleaning rod down the barrel and smack it with enthusiasm. of course i'm shipping this back to remington, but was wondering if anyone else has ever had this type of problem. I own/have owned many rifles, never had a problem until now. the spent cartridge loaded/unloaded freely into the other two 300 win mags, but would not load back into the xcr t. l/r. i shot a three shot .75 inch group with that box of ammo through a sendero just to see if it was the ammo, whigh it wasn't. I just bought cheapo core-lokt's 180 gr psp to begin break in. do you guys think this gun after repaired by remington will be as accurate as it should? seems to have a bur in the throat area. i'm afraid i will not be able to regain confidence in this firearm. someone give me hope this will come out o.k. and i haven't burned $1300

I just had the same problem with my rem 700 .300 win mag 5r. I was using the same remington 180 grain psp ammo. Im gonna try and using hsm 185 grain and see if get same problem.

let me know how it works. i just sent mine back to remington to 'ok' everything. might just be that the tolerances are much tighter, or it might have a bur.

I am having the same problem with my Remington .300 Win Mag 5R as well. Any resolution or idea what is causing this.

I took mine to Phoenix Custom Rifles, they did a set back and polished up the chamber a lil bit. I got it back and works like a dream.

It may be something as simple as the front scope base screws are too long, and the bolt is binding against them. I have had this happen several times.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.