Rem 700 5R Long Range?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
I am looking at buying a Rem 5R Long Range in 300WM for a future project, normally I don't shoot the donor.
My question is, are these of quality?
The rifle here in Australia is $1400, which is in the middle road for pricing, seeing as though a Sendero runs $2400.

Who makes the stock on these?
Have heard 2 different names mentioned now, HS-Precision and B&C.
My B&C stocks on my Win Model 70 EW's are functional and nice in the hands.
My HS-Precision stocks are great, I always use these, or McMillans, when building rifles depending on budget.

So, is this gun worth buying for the action to be trued up at a later date?
The barrel may be utilised if it turns out it shoots. I have one Rem 5R barrel in the same cartridge but am yet to fire it with tuned loads, just sighted it in with handloads I had on hand. It was nothing to write home about, but went sub MoA.

Cheers.
:confused:

Make sure you know which you are buying- Remington makes a 5r, which is stainless action and non-fluted barrel (24" threaded or 26" non-threaded) and sits in a black with green webbing HS-Precision stock. They make a 5r Gen II, which is stainless that is cerakoted black, has a knurled tactical bolt knob and a fluted and threaded barrel (.300 win mag is 24"), and it sits in a tan with black webbing HS-Precision stock.

They ALSO make a Long Range model, which is matte finished carbon steel or stainless steel, depending on the version...26" barrel (not 5r rifling). This sits in a black with grey webbing Bell and Carlson M40 stock.

IMO- the 5r, be it gen 1 or gen 2, is a fantastic buy. I have the Gen 2 and love it. I have owned the Long Range, and wouldn't recommend it. It's fine as a donor, but the 5r Gen 1 or 2 are perfect out of the box...only needs to be a donor after you wear out the factory barrel. :cool:

You will need to replace the trigger no matter what route you take...good luck with your purchase!

Bell and Carlson M40 is on the carbon long range.
HS Precision on the 5R
I don't see a 5R long range

Last edited:
Bell and Carlson M40 is on the carbon long range.
HS Precision on the 5R
I don't see a 5R long range
The Long Range comes in matte finished carbon steel or also in a satin stainless, and the B&C M40 stock is the same on both. You are correct that there is not currently a Long Range model with a 5r barrel.

OK, thanks everyone for your replies.
Looks like I got my wires crossed, I asked the gun shop this morning, it is the cheap LR model WITHOUT the 5R barrel.
It is stainless with the B&C stock. Maybe I'll buy it and just pull the barrel and start the project up front.
The next step up is the Sendero, but I'm not dropping $2400 on one, I already have 2 that I paid $1800 for new less than a year ago.

Cheers.

OK, thanks everyone for your replies.
Looks like I got my wires crossed, I asked the gun shop this morning, it is the cheap LR model WITHOUT the 5R barrel.
It is stainless with the B&C stock. Maybe I'll buy it and just pull the barrel and start the project up front.
The next step up is the Sendero, but I'm not dropping $2400 on one, I already have 2 that I paid $1800 for new less than a year ago.

Cheers.
The long range in 30.06 I have shoots quite well. A teaspoon of epoxy around the recoil lug and it has been great.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.