Rem 700 Sendero FS, Barrel Twist and Bullet Weight

General RE LEE

Good morning I am wondering what would be the optimum bullet weight for my FS Rem 700 7mm STW Sendero. I have 175 grain ABLR and also have 160 grain Accubonds coming. I believe the Rem 700 FS has a 1:9 twist.

Thank you

The best way to answer your question would be for you to provide the answer yourself.
And the best way to do that is to try the different bullets at say 1000 yds or so by shooting at a rock on a side hill.
Count the number of minits or scope clicks if you prefer for each bullet to get there from your zero.
If your loading the STW for optimum performance, your going to find that the 160 class bullets perform best.
When the distances start getting beyond 1000 or so, put it away and dig out a bigger gun with heavier bullets.

Have you shot much of anything with the 175 eld-x? I'm running them in my 8" twist 7 rum but I'm a bit concerned about bullet softness.
I busted a bull at 250ish (snowing so hard I couldn't get the rangefinder to play) base of the neck and crushed him. Then a muley buck at 418 quartering away hard. Sent it in at the last rib passenger side and exited just in front of shoulder driver side. He dropped, got up and made it 10yds before oil pressure dropped to 0. My wife shot her whitetail at 567 with her 300wm 200gr eldx perfect boiler room shot, jumped made two or three steps and then chin as an emergency brake. Her cow was at 302 same bullet. Quartering away bullet entered drivers side last rib and stopped in passenger side shoulder. (See pictures attached.) she didn't act like she was even hit just kept walking as if nothing had happened. Wife rolled the bolt and by that time the cow was sliding down the mountain on the wrong side of which would've been convenient for the easier option pack out. Chest cavity was nothing but strawberry jello with all three animals that were hit there.
1601933266616.jpeg

1601933293683.jpeg

good deal.. the fastest thing we've shot them with that actually killed something is a 143 from a 6.5 creed...

3143 out of the stw and 3006 out of the 300wm with any luck I'll have a couple antelope to document here next week so I'll take more pictures and keep you up to date. I'll be shooting the 162 eldx out of the 7rm cooking out at 3241 so that should give us a good idea of how they do with a little extra speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.