Barrel twist?

Who? :p

Oh, you mean those guys that have been in business for 40+ years and are still trying to keep up with these guys? http://www.bergerbullets.com

:D
I've tried the Bergers... I'm not paying around an extra $20 a box for no added performance and a more picky bullet to boot... I'm running Nosler, Hornady, Speer, and Sierra... I've got a bit of Barnes too... I will not waste my time on other bullets; especially in rather fast wearing barrels like a 7stw or a rum...

As to barrel twist; I have an 8" twist Shilen Select Match on my 7stw and she shoots well with 140 Nos. bonded and heavier... She pukes on the 195's and is finicky on the 175 eld-x... I haven't worked with the 197 Sierra yet but I suspect it would be fine should I try it...

I've tried the Bergers... I'm not paying around an extra $20 a box for no added performance and a more picky bullet to boot... I'm running Nosler, Hornady, Speer, and Sierra... I've got a bit of Barnes too... I will not waste my time on other bullets; especially in rather fast wearing barrels like a 7stw or a rum...
I'm sure those new Sierras are not going to be far from the price of Bergers...Technology and R&D cost money. Just like those new Nosler ABLR's were more expensive than Bergers, and the Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X's are only about $10-$12 a box less than Bergers.

But if you prefer to shoot everything except Bergers, that's your prerogative...It's your money, and your choice.

Also, I was making a joke (note the 2 emojis)... I guess Jud is the only one who realized that.

I'm sure those new Sierras are not going to be far from the price of Bergers...Technology and R&D cost money. Just like those new Nosler ABLR's were more expensive than Bergers, and the Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X's are only about $10-$12 a box less than Bergers.

But if you prefer to shoot everything except Bergers, that's your prerogative...It's your money, and your choice.

Also, I was making a joke (note the 2 emojis)... I guess Jud is the only one who realized that.
You couldn't get 195 Bergers from Midway right now if you tried; the sierra 197 are between 8 and 13 dollars cheaper depending on where you find them... I'm not opposed to spending on a pill when it shoots; I regularly drop $50 for 50 300grain Barnes in 375cal., I also spend $60 a hundred on Nosler ab's in 7mm when I need to. I just don't care enough about drinking the Berger Kool-Aid to try harder to get their stuff to shoot.

You couldn't get 195 Bergers from Midway right now if you tried; the sierra 197 are between 8 and 13 dollars cheaper depending on where you find them... I'm not opposed to spending on a pill when it shoots; I regularly drop $50 for 50 300grain Barnes in 375cal., I also spend $60 a hundred on Nosler ab's in 7mm when I need to. I just don't care enough about drinking the Berger Kool-Aid to try harder to get their stuff to shoot.
I hate they didn't work for you. They were super easy for me to get shooting in all of my rifles. From the very beginning (before we even had the Berger thread) I started setting them at .010" to 015" off, and have never had any issues. The only rifle I have that didn't like Bergers, is my old Ruger M77 MKII 7mmRM. It loves the Nosler 160 Accubonds, but it refuses to shoot the Berger 168 VLD's. It just flat does not like them. I'm thinking it must be the way the leade was cut in that chamber that it doesn't like a Secant or hybrid ogive, it likes the old school rounded tangent ogive.

I don't personally have a 7mm but have been involved with building and dialing them in. The 195 Berger did not see a load it did not like; in the 7mm WSM 1:8 twist Bartlein 3b I just finished a month or so ago. It had a node but would shoot sub-MOA anywhere. With the best load it fired a 3 shot 1 inch group at 300 yards. I have never seen a bullet as consistent or easier to dial-in than the 195 EOLs in this rifle. Jump out of your comfort zone and give some of these heavies a try. Little extra barrel twist rate won't usually hurt anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts