Barrel twist?

Coorcan

Hello, I've shot 7stw's for years but I'm about to have one built and the builder wants to put a 1 in 8 twist. He says it'll handle the bigger bullets better. Anyone have any luck with that twist? I'm currently shooting Hornady A-Max bullets 162g

1:8 for 195s, will also be fine for 180s

I have always shot the 1:9 for the 180s, also fine for lighter pills. Depends on which you will shoot.

1:8 for 195s, will also be fine for 180s

I have always shot the 1:9 for the 180s, also fine for lighter pills. Depends on which you will shoot.
I really don't plan on shooting anything over 168. Any advantage in the 1:8 twist for bullets between 160-168?

None, a 1:9 will do want to want. I shot a lot of 140s to 162s in mine. I have switched to the 180 Berger hybrid now, but the 1:9 shoots them all very well.

I spent years shooting 140-160 class bullets in mine (mostly 160 SGK's and 160 NAB's), but once I started reloading years ago, I started trying the Berger 180 Hybrids, and never looked back. I have 3 boxes of the 195's, but I don't have a 1:8 twist barrel, so it would just be a waste of bullets.

You should give the 180-195's a try... The STW really shines with the heavies.

You should be just fine with 168's and a 1:8 twist barrel. You should see no detrimental affects.

Thanks for the reply's. My main goal is to have a 1000 yard gun with a hunting bullet. I've shot many of the builders guns in a 7mm and 28 Nosler and they do shoot so I don't want to second guess him on the build just want to be sure I have the best configuration for what I want

I spent years shooting 140-160 class bullets in mine (mostly 160 SGK's and 160 NAB's), but once I started reloading years ago, I started trying the Berger 180 Hybrids, and never looked back. I have 3 boxes of the 195's, but I don't have a 1:8 twist barrel, so it would just be a waste of bullets.

You should give the 180-195's a try... The STW really shines with the heavies.

You should be just fine with 168's and a 1:8 twist barrel. You should see no detrimental affects.
They sure sound interesting. I just like em whistling a little, main reason I've never tried that big of a bullet. Maybe I need to get out of my comfort zone and try the 180's

Go with the 8 twist. You'll be able to shoot anything from 160s up to the 180 class bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.