rem 700 problem, need options

Burley

Ok so I bought a Remington 700 long range 300 win mag last year. Hasn't ever shot right since I got it. Tried different calibers and different shooters and still no luck. At 90 yards I'm shooting a volleyball size group shooting from a lead sled.

I've been considering a few options. Since I went and threaded my barrel I can not call Remington and ask for warranty (gun shot like crap before threading barrel) I went in to Sportsman's warehouse and held a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic and now I can't stop thinking I need a light rifle for packing up and down the mountain. Already planning my 2017 elk hunt.

So.... here if my thoughts. (Also realize that is like a 1-2 year goal) I want a carbon fiber barrel. Been looking at proof. If I go that route I'm pretty sure I will need different stock. My bro-in-law thinks I can just machine out my rem 700LR stock to accept the different barrel. That would be a cheaper option. However, makes me nervous I would ruin a perfectly good stock. If not, I'm looking at a McMillan stock(game warden, adjustable or non adjustable ... not decided) proof and However at that point.... buy another action and trigger and it's a whole new gun.... and I'm still stuck with a Rem 700 that won't shoot worth a ****.
I could rebuild my Rem with a completely different caliber and build my deer rifle but what caliber do I go with on a long action mag that would be a good opion.

I wanted a Christensen arms classic II 6.5 creedmoor before all this mess but I have a crap gun I have to do something with before I move to the next caliber. Waste money building my next 2 rifles if I can utilize what I have.

The main goal after all of this is to end up with 2 light weight hunting rifles. One for big game gun and another for deer rifle.

Take it to a reputable gunsmith... Let him do all the work.

Yes, you can have your action blueprinted, and have a new (Proof carbon fiber) barrel installed onto it and have the smith chamber it, thread it, and target crown it. You can open the stock up to float this barrel, as well, but I would also let the smith do that. I would have the smith DevCon bed the action, and swap in and tune an aftermarket trigger, as well.

Then you're rifle should be working like it's supposed to.

Then buy your other rifle you are wanting. Thus attains your desired end-result.

Ok so I bought a Remington 700 long range 300 win mag last year. Hasn't ever shot right since I got it. Tried different calibers and different shooters and still no luck. At 90 yards I'm shooting a volleyball size group shooting from a lead sled.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

YIKES! Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

How does she shoot off the lead sled? Have you isolated possible scope (what brand/model) problems from the rifle/stock (i.e all screws tightened/torqued accordingly?

Was the rifle already shooting this way when you had it threaded and did you know it voids the warranty?

It might very well end up to blueprinting the action and a re-barrel but the more info you can provide, the more possible corrective measure(s) you might get. Who knows, you might just get lucky.

Good luck!

off the sled it's still the same story and I'm not the only person shooting it either. Same results even before I threaded. Figured it was just needing to break or needing to a different grain or hand loaded rounds. Nothing has helped. I didn't really think about voiding the warranty because I was sure there would be no need for the warranty.

I have the vortex viper. 6-24. Leupold scope rings. (Turn in style) I'm not not saying I'm an expert to guns and shooting but I am also so new I'm completely lost.... but this gun has me stumped.... I've had friends go through all the basics. Nothing has helped. It's driving me crazy.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

YIKES! Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

How does she shoot off the lead sled? Have you isolated possible scope (what brand/model) problems from the rifle/stock (i.e all screws tightened/torqued accordingly?

Was the rifle already shooting this way when you had it threaded and did you know it voids the warranty?

It might very well end up to blueprinting the action and a re-barrel but the more info you can provide, the more possible corrective measure(s) you might get. Who knows, you might just get lucky.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Have you checked the crown... After having it threaded the smith could have knicked or screwed up the crown. That could cause extreme accuracy issues.

Also, making sure the action screws are torqued to 65 inch-pounds helps.

Like Feenix said, scope rings, base, etc... if any are loose, issues.

Also, having the barrel hand-lapped, and then getting it re-crowned might help. If you have no warranty, it's worth a shot.

If all else fails, have the action blueprinted, and stick a new tube on it. You already have a good platform to start with.

I was told the proof barrel won't fit in. Y stock. How hard is it to open up the stock to get that new barrel to fit? Is it worth it? Something that needs to be taken to a gun smith? That would definitely be cheaper to keep that stock.

Have you checked the crown... After having it threaded the smith could have knicked or screwed up the crown. That could cause extreme accuracy issues.

Also, making sure the action screws are torqued to 65 inch-pounds helps.

Like Feenix said, scope rings, base, etc... if any are loose, issues.

Also, having the barrel hand-lapped, and then getting it re-crowned might help. If you have no warranty, it's worth a shot.

If all else fails, have the action blueprinted, and stick a new tube on it. You already have a good platform to start with.

I have a Sendero which is a tack driver as long as I clean the copper out every 20-25 rounds. What has been your cleaning schedule? Not all factory guns are tack dropped Vera but what you describe is a severe problem which should have a root cause which can be addressed.

Other than installing a shouldered barrel or trying the action, all of the other work could be done yourself.

I wouldn't plan on using any action currently shooting volleyball size groups unless its at 1800 yds. I would find the root cause of the issue 1st.
I would check scope and mounts. Most groups that big trace back to a scope. I have never and will never trust turn ins of any kind.

Cleaning schedule has been regular. Never more than 20 rounds. Have about 120 rounds through it at this point. About 110 dissappointments....

I have a Sendero which is a tack driver as long as I clean the copper out every 20-25 rounds. What has been your cleaning schedule? Not all factory guns are tack dropped Vera but what you describe is a severe problem which should have a root cause which can be addressed.

Other than installing a shouldered barrel or trying the action, all of the other work could be done yourself.

I was told the proof barrel won't fit in. Y stock. How hard is it to open up the stock to get that new barrel to fit? Is it worth it? Something that needs to be taken to a gun smith? That would definitely be cheaper to keep that stock.

The Proof barrel will fit. The smith will probably have to open the barrel channel in the stock up, but it will definitely fit. Very very simple process wit the right set of tools. Any gunsmith worth his salt should have a set of stock maker's barrel channel cutters.

I wouldn't plan on using any action currently shooting volleyball size groups unless its at 1800 yds. I would find the root cause of the issue 1st.
I would check scope and mounts. Most groups that big trace back to a scope. I have never and will never trust turn ins of any kind.

The action is most likely NOT the culprit in this scenario. The action may need blueprinting, but my money is on the barrel being the main culprit.

Cleaning schedule has been regular. Never more than 20 rounds. Have about 120 rounds through it at this point. About 110 dissappointments....

That could also be your problem. Cleaning a barrel too much and not letting it foul itself can also cause this issue. Some barrels like to shoot dirty, and will not settle a group until they have had 10-20 rounds down them to foul them out.

The action is most likely NOT the culprit in this scenario. The action may need blueprinting, but my money is on the barrel being the main culprit.

My $$$ would be scope but I still wouldn't sink a ton of $$$ into anything shooting a 15MOA group with out an idea of WHY. The only 1 ft groups I have seen involved a 204 w 55 gr Bergers and a 12 twist. I would have an aneurism at 2 MOA. A volleyball??????? Uhhhhh I can shoot a group better than that at 90 yds with my Frankenbow in a lot of wind half drunk.
Something is insanely wrong and I would wanna know what it was before I threw good $$$$ after bad.

My $$$ would be scope but I still wouldn't sink a ton of $$$ into anything shooting a 15MOA group with out an idea of WHY. The only 1 ft groups I have seen involved a 204 w 55 gr Bergers and a 12 twist. I would have an aneurism at 2 MOA. A volleyball??????? Uhhhhh I can shoot a group better than that at 90 yds with my Frankenbow in a lot of wind half drunk.
Something is insanely wrong and I would wanna know what it was before I threw good $$$$ after bad.

I've only seen a handful of rifles shoot THAT bad.

I do agree that I'd check the rings, base, and scope itself. If those check-out, then I'd say the barrel is trash.

Remember, I got a bad barrel on a $2,000 rifle from the factory, so nothing is out of question when it comes to factory mass-produced guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts