Rem 700 Mag Extractor Help

"Hypothetically" Money is no object....i just send the bolt to LRI get the m16 extractor and get smith to open up the bolt recess, check headspace and be done with it right?! That's the smart and mature thing to do?
That's what I'd be doing, for future extraction reliability.

Remington extractors work fine and will extract cases just as well as the M 16 extactor with safe loads. I've had clients bring me 700s with the bolt handles broken off from trying to remove a stuck case. The factory extractor doesn't break that easily.
Read Bigngreens previous post about the issues with modifications on the 700 bolt. The 700 wasn't designed to capture the Sako or M 16 extractor if there is an over pressure issue or case head failure and the extractor comes apart. I actually had a conversation with Mike Walker while at the Super Shoot about this subject about 20-25 years ago.
I've seen an M16 extractor blown out of a 700 . It broke forward of the cross pin. Fortunately the shooter wasn't hit with the parts. Its rare but it can happen.
I would just get your smith to replace the OEM extractor and go shooting.
It looks like all you need is the rivet replaced and reset. Providing the extractor is not deformed. You can get the rivet out without removing the extractor. It'll shoot just as well with factory extractor as it will a Sako or M16.
I'm not bashing M-16 or Sako modifications, Just making you aware of what can happen. You make your own evaluation.
EDITED BY ADMIN

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tempted to convert some of my 700s to the m16 style extractor since I am very familiar with how to service it. But then I realized I have never broken a stock Remington extractor. So why do it?
But then, I don't run my loads as hot as some of the guys. If I need to do that, it's time for a different bullet or caliber in my humble opinion. You may take a different path.

My brother replaced broken 700 extractors on a regular basis, over the duration of his 38yr Alaska-based gunsmith/gunshop business.
Much more so than any other brand factory rifle extractors, in his own words.

Bolt back from LRI...
20220606_175637.jpg

20220606_175647.jpg

my bolt fluting from LRI looked similar, not all that clean.

to anyone else, send your bolt to High Tech Customs in CO Springs, let Rich put a sako extractor in your remmy. He also moves the location of the ejector pin to prevent the brass from flying up into your scope turrets, so it flies out the side like it should. Most folks don't know to do that, or how.

The first picture shows the swirl of a endmill in a mill. The crazy thing is cutting the step over down to .010 would probably only add 20-30 seconds and the finish product would be so much better. There is never a time where 20-30 seconds would justify a crappy finished product IMO.