Rem 700 Mag Extractor Help

PTG can make you a new bolt with an M-16 style extractor: problem solved. I bought one and the headspace did not change at all from the factory bolt to the PTG bolt.
I've found PTG causes more issues sometimes than anything, better to just get the original fixed and rock on and you don't have to open the counter bore up on the barrel for the M16.

Yeah I guess I should have not fired it yet and had it done right and big and strong from the beginning knowing it would fail at some point. Shame cause it shoots SWEET and now I know it.

last I heard the extractors are like chickens teeth to get now, better to have an m16 extractor installed by LRI, imho
I've been looking for a magnum extractor for my 700 for about 2 years now. I am planning on having an M16 extractor installed by LRI before I convert it from a 7mm RM to a .33 Nosler.

I used to always keep 20+ magnum extractors and double that in rivets to replace the ones on the RR serial actions. You'll every once in a while find one that is broken but it still functions. They really are not a bad extractor, if you look at what it take to fail a good one it's ugly, you can fail an M16 also.
Once you change the extractor from a Rem you no longer have the three rings of steel and you created a path that will blow open with a failure since the new extractor is the new pressure relief.

Yup, the mag. extractors have been out of stock for a spell...
I'd simply use an extractor rivet anvil to tap it down a bit more then flush up the extra on the outside of the bolt with a file...

standard ones are still in stock at Numrich but I'm not sure they would pull at the right spot even if bent to fit... that would be a gunsmith thing... I've got a spare or two and an anvil/vivets in case I loose one but I do not have spares to sell...

If your rounds are too hot or chamber is dirty maybe too much pressure on extractor.
If you replace it be very careful putting in a new one - any more spring than necessary and it will snap.
Yes Same thing happened to me on a new Remington model 700 375 H&H on the first shot bad extractor

Yup, the mag. extractors have been out of stock for a spell...
I'd simply use an extractor rivet anvil to tap it down a bit more then flush up the extra on the outside of the bolt with a file...

standard ones are still in stock at Numrich but I'm not sure they would pull at the right spot even if bent to fit... that would be a gunsmith thing... I've got a spare or two and an anvil/vivets in case I loose one but I do not have spares to sell...
You can not bend them - they will snap. Had that happen with a regular one, I expect the mag. has a similar hardness.

m16-extractor-badger.jpg