Rem 700 Mag Extractor Help

on the phone he mentioned the rivet....if you look at last picture it looks like the round part(rivet) is scraping the rim of the case. when bolt it turned its only scraped 90 degrees like the exact motion of the bolt.....Hmmm might be on to something.
Winner winner chicken dinner. The rivet on the extractor isn't ground down enough. You can fix it easily yourself with a Dremel. I did. Must be fairly common. I've seen it on several RUMs. Or maybe it was just one guy at Remington did them all that way.

The extractor was replaced at one point in time, incorrectly. Remington extractors can be quite fussy and aftermarket versions may not have tensile requirements to function as new. I had to replace one on a standard LA and handed off to my smith since the tensile strength was giving me fits. He ended up heat treating and carefully resetting in bolt face. Works flawlessly now. My smith feels unless OE part from Rem, he had to heat treat to get aftermarket to work correctly.

700's do not have a Robust extraction system and if you hit too high of pressure and get web expansion on case, it may not extract the case. Pretty much well known deficiency in the 700 system.

Can't really see for certain, but looks like web ring may also be involved.

I wonder if Rem improved this on new 700's?

If I was you I would go with the m16 upgrade, I am in the process of getting an upgrade myself I was working with short action customs on doing one for me until they found my bolt was about to break clean off.

I am having a 6mm/280AI being built. I had purchased a used Rem 700 LA for the action. The Smith started to test fire it, and something went wrong with the ejector broke. Whoever owned it before did something to the bolt face. The Smith is doing some type replacement on the bolt. I don't fully understand, and I am not in the area presently to see what being done to correct it. So that what you get buying a used rifle sometimes. So there some type of upgrade to the bolt ejector system. If nothing else at lease there new 700 Rem bolt action on the market now.

I'm headed there tomorrow and in think this first correction he's to take care of since i just picked it up and it was a complete build custom barrel bare action etc. And get it shooting again. Then I'm going to ask what replacement and parts cost on extractor if i was covering it going forward and go from there. I was really looking forward to shooting it since weather is about turned here. But guess I'd rather get it right and have it working long term then getting into summer and have to mail bolt off then.