Savage extractor help

Texas79423

I have a new savage 10T-SR after 20 round the gun quit ejecting spent rounds. They pull back but just lay in chamber. Who makes a after market or better extractor kit and where to order. Tried Tactical Works but they are out of stock. Also recommend a good reasonable priced muzzle brake.

The factory ejector spring can go flat after a while or especially if using higher pressure handloads. You'd think that since Savage's cost more, than they ever did, thee would have been some upgrades made :rolleyes:

Sounds like it's not your extractor, but your ejector spring. Savages don't have a particularly powerful one, and as jasonco mentioned, they can go bad pretty quickly if the loads are on the warm side and/or you fry them up with some hot gas from a blown primer. After only 20 rounds is a bit weird though.

I buy them from Brownells, and just replace them every few hundred rounds.

Regarding muzzle brakes, I just got one from Muzzle Brakes and More (Super Baby Beast 3 port) and couldn't be much happier. He offers tapering and timing services too, for a very reasonable price, and is very responsive to questions you might have.

Though it's one of the smaller offerings, the SBB 3 port cut the recoil on my 10.5 lb 7mm Mag about in half. Blast isn't to vicious either, and is directed at nearly 90° from the shooter, so billowing dust isn't much of an issue either.

First clean it with a good carbon solvent. A soak in Hoppe's. If it's stainless, use kerosene.
I use the same extractor from SharpShooterSupply.
The problem is, some dirty powder will foul the ejection pin, quite easily.

Entoptics. I believe the extractor should pull the casing back to the point the ejector can push (flip) the spent casing out. I my case I believe the extractor fails since it never get to a point on the ejector to flip it. The ejector is pretty hard to depress and feels strong. Gun has maybe 40 round fired to date. Thanks for the heads up on the break

Look at it. What is happening? My guess is your extractor isn't getting back to center of the ball due to extractor wear or due to weak spring. One of those parts should get you running, the stronger spring and new extractor could help a lot.

I just installed one of those kits in a new rifle today. In the past I have had bad ejection, even after replacing a spring. I ended up just pulling it out and stretching the spring ever so slightly, has worked for the past 10 years or so. Maybe you can do that with the extractor spring...?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.