Reloading Investment

Jacktrude

What would it cost for me to start doing my own reloading? Remember I have never done this before. I plan on reloading 308 ammo for 1000 yard shooting and 223 for shorter distances.

Thanks, Jack

I think you can get set-up to load highly precise ammo for $800 or so, a fair amount less if you go with some lower-end equipment on the front end. Reloading .308 and .223 - are you looking for volume (ie progressive press) or slow and meticulous (single stage press). That decision alone will drive what you get and how much it will cost.

Mainly looking to reload for 1000 yards or better. And over the counter for this type ammo is large so I am also looking to save money over the long term. Not looking for large volumes just percision and more kick.

you can get a good set up for anywhere from $500.00 (single stage) to $1000.00 (progressive) that will have you set for a very long time.
If you go cheaper you will still get high quality ammo but, you will most likely be getting upgrades in the near future.
Hornady sells the locknload AP kit where all you will need after the kit is your dies and shell plates. Also they sell the locknload classic kit where again you will need dies and shell holders. Of course Lee, RCBS and lyman also offer good kits.
You will get many responses here (we all have our own humble opinions)
No matter wich way you go I do advise that you get another type of scale (if your kit comes with a beam scale buy a digital and visa versa) it is always a good idea to have a second scale just for verifying. Also it is important to have 2 differant manuals from differant publishers to verify load data. if you cannot verify a load from a differant source dont use it.

Years ago when I started hand loading my own ammo I thought I would save money reloading. I'll tell you straight out that is a pipe dream, figuratively speaking of course. What I have done is engage in a hobby that has been anything other than money saving. I have played with a lot of different cartridges/firearms and have not regretted one red cent of it. I have loaded ammo that produced accuracy I have never witnessed in over the counter fodder. I wouldn't try to talk you out of reloading, but I will tell if you are adept at rolling your own it is addicting and you will sometimes see yourself as a reloading/shooting junky that needs a fix. If you need a second opinion on this just ask my S-I-L, as I taught him to load and he will tell you the same thing.

As VarmintH8R said, you can get all set up for about $800. That is if you start with a single stage press, which I highly recommend. I will probably catch some flak for this but the only advise I have concerning brands is to stay away from Lee brand stuff. Some of his designs are great but the quality of his products seems pitifully inferior to me. I have used some Lee and the only piece I still have is the Auto-prime case primer and as long as they (2, one small and one large) still work I won't replace them.

Try the Hornady Lock-n-Load single stage and their dies. They use a sliding collar that holds the case neck and bullet concentric for seating. This is way more important than most people think. Lee collet neck sizer is a must. Get the starter kit from Hornady and it should include their powder measure. It drops powder pretty consistant. I like the Lee priming tools but that is extra. Ditto the Lee case trimming setup. I buy a Lee cutter & lockstud w/ the case length gauge and shell holder (two different items) for each caliber and just keep that setup in the die box. It trims cases to max and cuts as good as the best of them (which I also have). Add a electronic caliper from Harbor Freight as you need to measure lots of stuff.

The most important thing is a friend who does reloading already. They will shorten the learning curve and your reloads will be great straight away. My wife has a croquet and Bible group once a month upstairs and the men folk meet in the man cave to "praise the Lord and pass the ammunition." (quote from a WWI tune)

Thanks for the information. I have bought almost everything I think I will need. The Hornady Classic came with a electronic scale. It should be ok for weighing everything or should I get something else?

Thanks Jack

How much would it cost to buy a new car so you could drive from Santa Monica to Boston? Answer: Most anything would get that accomplished and would get you there just as well if you drove the same. Granted, how easy the ride may be would vary a bit but the goal itself would be accomplished just as well with most anything available. The most basic of reloading gear - which is quite good - will make good ammo. How well you may be able to hit with it at 1K yards is another question and that matters too.

It will take you quite awhile to learn to reload as well as normal dies, presses and components allow and no money thrown at costly purchases is going to produce instant skill and understanding for the difficult task you're aiming at. Get basic stuff and learn to use it; by the time you learn how to use standard gear as well as it can be used you'll have enough personal experience to make your own choices without asking such questions on the web. Three-four hundred bucks should get you off to a good start, add more stuff when you need it.

What you don't need ... well, you don't need a lot of what you may be told. You won't need a digital scale or a digital powder dumpster to dispense powder with precision. You don't need steel pins and a wet tumbler to keep your cases in good shape. You don't need case neck turners or high dollar case trimmers or primer pocket uniformers to start with. You'll never need expensive professional machinist grade micrometers and calipers. You sure won't need costly "competition" dies and shell holders or extra bullet crimpers or high cost priming tools to start. Nor do you need costly cases; Remington/Winchester bulk brass is better than you'll be for a long while and you'll have to get way up the learning curve before any of that matters; learn on the less costly cases before you even think of buying the imported stuff.

now comes the addiction part where you find you can make your deer gun shot pretty small holes darn it.Then your pistols get the same treatment,pretty soon everything in the safe that goes bang has a recipe,you ponder over lists in large volume books full of numbers and calculations,and soon realize,this is relaxing. Least it is of me anyway,just like shooting,concentrate on one thing at a time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.