A great investment.

Guess I lucked out, both my mills are short table and refitted with ball screws and both have Kurt power drawbars. My take on a bridgeport is it's not a hogging machine and never was. They aren't rigid enough. If I want to hog, I have a Cincinatti horizontal mill. I'd have a K&T but they are too cumbersome. The Cincinatti is bad enough.

I'm careful with my slideways, they get oiled every morning with way oil in the one shot which works by the way and yes, the saddle drips oil but it's a mill, not a vase of flowers. The spindle oil cups are filled every morning too and both machines are step pulley. When one of my employees start a mill, I want to see an oil line across his shop apron.:)

I also have a Hass with conversational programming and Cat40 with through the spindle coolant. It runs primarily aluminum.

My favorite is my LeBlond Servo shift engine lathe. Always wanted a Monarch 10EE but I don't have time to rebuild one. Time consuming enough rebuilding old South Bend lathes and shapers. My last one took 3 years. The LeBlond line bored the spindle bearings on the last South Bend after I repoured them.

I'm just getting ready to purchase a 3 axis CNC Plasma table. I spend a bundle having parts cut. Besides, I want a new toy to play with and the bank says ok.

I'm really too old to be fooling with stuff that one, don't make money and two, take so much time because in the end, it ain't worth the time spent.... but I'm too stupid to retire I guess....

Yes, my toolroom grinder is on turcite ball ways.

surprisingly for the size of the ways on that Le Blond, they seem to cut very well! I've rebuilt two of them, and when I retired we were looking at doing the first one again. (we used them 16 hours a day seven days a week). Spindle line is very good and typical Le Blond in being over built. Cross slides are prone to wear, and the best fix is a major slide revision with hard steel wear plates. The tailstock is the weak point with them, and not a lot can be done to beef them up. (the quill is too small for the typical loads they are put thru). We usually had to rebuild the apron every 30 months at best, and the half nuts seemed to wear a little more than I'd have thought. If you don't have any spare parts for them, I'd be laying my hands on the plastic servo shift gears & racks located just under the top head stock plate. I suspect they'll be hard to come by in a couple years. All in all they are a nice lathe. You should check the level every six months with them, and their bed seems to flex a bit. I had the two we used setup with lag bolts as well as leveling screws and half inch 6" square plates. They're not a Monarch for sure, but an often overlooked piece of equipment.

The best place to find a good Monarch Double E is from the government auctions. Be sure it has the solid state drives, as the parts for the older tubed drives are near impossible to come by. I rebuilt three or four, and one was tubed. They replaced the drives with a Eurodrive (brand name), and it lacked the horse power needed. Cuts were limited to about .025", but the machine would work at less than .0005" all day long! You can get the ways reground at Viking Engineering up in Hammond Indiana (these guys are the best I've ever seen anywhere). A Monarch EE is still regareded as the most accurate lathe ever produced in any format, but I'd have to put a Hardingh right in that same class. The Hardingh slant bed CNC lathes are simply amazing as well, and usually come in cheaper than an Okuma. Also far better built and more accurate.

If you can't get a deal on the plasma cutter, you also might want to look at a water jet. Heads are a pain in the butt, but are very accurate.

Have not been around a Cinn horizontal mill in eons! I scraped two or three back in the 1970's, and got into the hydraulic nightmare in the knee (a couple idiots had made some repairs in there). I'd rather rebuild the knee on a K&T anytime before working a day on the CINN. The deal with machine centers most folks don't grasp is frame integrity. Look for the older ones with cast iron frames and removable ways. I did a whole series of Monarchs (horizontals) and Burgmasters back in the 1980's. The Monarch is slightly more accurate, but seems to go thru bearing sets twice as fast as I'd have expected. Their bearing setup is extremely accurate, and better than 90% out there right now. The Burmaster (I like the 325 horizontal best) is very similar in design to the old K&T MM series machine centers. Frame is very ridgid, but ball screws are a little small for their load. The spindle orient system they use is a problem, and I eleminated it with an encoder drive similar to what some others used. They had an optional jet pulse coolant system that really worked well, plus the usual external flood system. Most used an M&M table for "B" axis, but they did offer a built in rotary table that is a close copy to Monarch's. You can build a very accurate machine out of an old Burgmaster without spending a third as much for something new that will not be as good. The ones to avoid are the Mori Seikis and Okumas! Makinos are better, but a G&L MM series will flat smoke it seven days a week! (G&L bought K&T back in the 1980's) Avoid the G&L Ram 630 at all costs! It's super fast and fairly accurate, but down time is a nightmare. Another good one to watch for the an Older K&T MM 600. It's similar in design to the bigger MM800, but actually easy to rebuild.
gary

Sunday I visited nearest Harbor Freight Tools its like 40 mile from me and I bought bunch of crap from them, just their drill bit sharpener attachment melted away at their recommended speed 2500 - 3000 rpm their housing is made out of plastic were spindle rest, also I got 2 magnet bases for dial indicator, but when I tried to tighten it threads broke on both, also got some lathe carbide bits, but didn't have chance to test them, anyway now I have to drive back to them to return their stuff. By the way that's Pittsburgh tools and they all made in China...

Gary and I are getting off on a tangent and I apologize for the both of us.

I just happen to own a short run machine and fabrication shop and I like talking about machinery, especially old iron because old iron was built, unlike stuff today (for the most part).....

My suggestion on twist drill bits (and I believe Gary will agree with me on this...)

Learn how to offhand sharpen your own bits and forget the drill sharpening machines. It's not that hard to master and all it takes is a 6" bench grinder with a coarse and fine wheel for HHS or M42 Cobalt. Besides you can learn to relieve the webs and that makes drilling with larger bits so much easier....

My old eyes will still allow me to resharpen down to 1/8" (with my headgear magnifiers of course)......:D

All those drill sharpeners (Drill Doctor Included) are little more than expensive junk.

The Drill Doctor is made by Darex and Darex makes some fine drill sharpeners for shop use but they cost thousands. They make very accurate cutter grinders too but I'm straying from the OP's post again.

Anyway, start off with good drills, not cheapo Harbor Fright stuff. Cleveland Twist or Chicago Latrobe, preferrably Cleveland Twist. Get a set of Fractional and Wire Size in bright finish. That fancy gold (Titanium Nitride) coating is of little use in casual drilling anyway....

Good drills cost good money, like anything, but they will last and once you learn to resharpen them........ will last a long time because everytiime you use a drill, you'll 'touch it up' to keep it cutting well.

Always use lubricant when drilling ferrous (steel). Keeps the cutting edge cool and sharp longer We could get into a discussion about lubricants but it's suffice to say anything resembling oil will do for a home shop.

You'll quickly develop a sense of pride in being able to resharpen your own drills. Even today I always have people watch and ask me how it's done. I say it's all in your wrist.... and it is. Just takes practice, like shooting. You don't get good if you don't shoot and often.

Gary... The Servoshift is off limits to everyone but me..... In my shop, don't ask because the answer is no.

Mechanized Plasma will hold 0.005. That's good enough for pre machined blanks. Besides I already a large HyperTherm with the driver ports built in. Just need the table....

Gary and I are getting off on a tangent and I apologize for the both of us.

I just happen to own a short run machine and fabrication shop and I like talking about machinery, especially old iron because old iron was built, unlike stuff today (for the most part).....

My suggestion on twist drill bits (and I believe Gary will agree with me on this...)

Learn how to offhand sharpen your own bits and forget the drill sharpening machines. It's not that hard to master and all it takes is a 6" bench grinder with a coarse and fine wheel for HHS or M42 Cobalt. Besides you can learn to relieve the webs and that makes drilling with larger bits so much easier....

My old eyes will still allow me to resharpen down to 1/8" (with my headgear magnifiers of course)......:D

All those drill sharpeners (Drill Doctor Included) are little more than expensive junk.

The Drill Doctor is made by Darex and Darex makes some fine drill sharpeners for shop use but they cost thousands. They make very accurate cutter grinders too but I'm straying from the OP's post again.

Anyway, start off with good drills, not cheapo Harbor Fright stuff. Cleveland Twist or Chicago Latrobe, preferrably Cleveland Twist. Get a set of Fractional and Wire Size in bright finish. That fancy gold (Titanium Nitride) coating is of little use in casual drilling anyway....

Good drills cost good money, like anything, but they will last and once you learn to resharpen them........ will last a long time because everytiime you use a drill, you'll 'touch it up' to keep it cutting well.

Always use lubricant when drilling ferrous (steel). Keeps the cutting edge cool and sharp longer We could get into a discussion about lubricants but it's suffice to say anything resembling oil will do for a home shop.

You'll quickly develop a sense of pride in being able to resharpen your own drills. Even today I always have people watch and ask me how it's done. I say it's all in your wrist.... and it is. Just takes practice, like shooting. You don't get good if you don't shoot and often.

Gary... The Servoshift is off limits to everyone but me..... In my shop, don't ask because the answer is no.

Mechanized Plasma will hold 0.005. That's good enough for pre machined blanks. Besides I already a large HyperTherm with the driver ports built in. Just need the table....

The guy I worked for also had the cutter grinding area as well, and he bought four of those Drill Doctors. They never did work right! We had several of the others you mentioned (or name similar). Never had to do any work on them, and they had a couple guys that took care of most of the equipment for them as well as the tool room.

Honestly I was nothing to ever write home about when it came to sharpening twist drills. They'd cut Ok, but never had the precision I wanted out of them. But I did master the art of getting the proper reliefe and the differences between cast iron and something like aluminum. Yet I've watch my dad do it almost with his eyes closed! Two perfectly matched chip strings everytime. The thing about buying coated drills to remember is that you have to have the recoated everytime you sharpen them. For 97% of the uses I see little advantage, and even then a standard cobalt drill will get the job done. In otherwords save your money! But if your drill a lot of holes in pretreat steel the coated ones really show up well. You might also want to add Vermont into the drill brands (I guess they're still good). We used mostly the brands you spoke of unless it was an oddball or a core drill (we bought a lot of core drills). Also there is a drill grind that 97% of the folks cannot resharpen. It's called a crank shaft grind. Looking at it, it looks like the others, but is different. Avoid those unless you are maybe running a machine shop. These drills will really handle high loads and really cut well.

I used to have flame cut fixture bases made outside by an outfit that claimed they'd be .03" or better. Most were in the .015" range and fairly smooth on the outsides. (some of these were four foot by six foot with angles and radiuses in them). Before I was lucky to get an eigth inch in accuracey, and had to recut all the outside deminsions. Then we bought a precision flame cutting machine that was programable, and usually cut within the +/- .01" range. Anything close we did with the water jet. I learned fast the the base of a fixture is the foundation for machining good parts, and if you start out right the rest follows suit. And this is one reason why I miss the old big and slow planers!
gary

Just about every consumer with a home shop or garage mechanic who owns a portable drill can offhand sharpen drills to a degree that works in a layman's world.

It's not a precision undertaking (like a shop environment), it's more about drilling a hole in something at that time... The average person won't realize the hole is actually dimensionally larger than the drill, because the drill is favoring one cutting edge over the other anyway and they have no way of gaging the internal diameter anyway. It's an 'I need a quarter inch hole for a bolt to pass through so I drill a quarter inch hole and the bolt passes through'. It's not about precision, it's about what works.

My regimen is 'touching up' a drill every time I use one if I inspect the cutting edge (with a magnifying glass....:) and the cutting edge appears chipped or otherwise degraded).

Of course being frugal, I re-dress inserts too. I realize insert tooling (and brazed carbide tool bits) are supposed to be throwaway but it's so simple to re-dress them with a diamond hone or a green wheel (if the tool needs to be form ground).

When I go to work (at my part-time job), the service techs there invariably have collected a pile of drills for me to resharpen because they never learned how to offhand sharpen them and I'm available.....:D

The other thing about a sharp drill is it imparts less strain on the drill press and most home shop drill presses are underpowered and have questionable spindle tolerances in the first place (as mentioned in a previous post....) The cutting action at any tool edge is shearing the material away, not really cutting in the sense of the word. That shearing action produces heat and takes power. The sharper the cutting edge is, the less heat produced and power required.

Sharp (with proper negative relief and chip clearance) is always best.

I re-grind all my end mills too.......

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.