Reloading Investment

davkrat & grunt0311

Thanks for adding to the thread. It is true that we spend money to "save money". Electric cars cost pennies per mile but cost $68,000 with a $100,000 Government subsidy. But they save money!
All kidding aside the cost of ammo is variable. 9mm cost $240/1000 last December and about $290/1000 yesterday here locally. Not going to save a bunch there anytime soon.
375 Ruger runs about $60/20 from the gun store but costs about $30 to load, a good savings. On odd duck calibers it can be even greater as Safari Ammo runs $100 - $200/20.
300 WinMag with quality bullets run about $40 - $50/20 or more and reloading cuts it in about half - $21/20.
You can save in the long run because it is such a long run. I started in 1971, what year is it now? New calibers are added for the cost of a die set, amortizing the cost of the press etc. over more guns in different calibers. I pick up most of my brass (>50%) off the ground for free. I always ask at the range if a shooter saves their brass. Most every one offers it happy to know its not headed into the trash.

Just to "save money", try the hammer type inertial bullet pullers. They work for almost every caliber with just that one tool and if you watch the bullet carefully you can tap very lightly as it edges out of the case so not to damage it. All the powder is caught in the tool.

If you look too hard at the initial cost it can be discouraging. But if you look at the price of the car in the garage and the insurance, and the maintenance, plus the cost of the garage? The bus looks pretty cheap right now.

Did your truck just disappear? Didn't think so!

Yep all I ever have used is an inertia hammer puller. Where the costs get me are the 5 or 6 powders I had that just did not work out for me. That's what the light for caliber vmax are for. Lets you go plink with you deer rifle.

davkrat & grunt0311

Thanks for adding to the thread. It is true that we spend money to "save money". Electric cars cost pennies per mile but cost $68,000 with a $100,000 Government subsidy. But they save money!
All kidding aside the cost of ammo is variable. 9mm cost $240/1000 last December and about $290/1000 yesterday here locally. Not going to save a bunch there anytime soon.
375 Ruger runs about $60/20 from the gun store but costs about $30 to load, a good savings. On odd duck calibers it can be even greater as Safari Ammo runs $100 - $200/20.
300 WinMag with quality bullets run about $40 - $50/20 or more and reloading cuts it in about half - $21/20.
You can save in the long run because it is such a long run. I started in 1971, what year is it now? New calibers are added for the cost of a die set, amortizing the cost of the press etc. over more guns in different calibers. I pick up most of my brass (>50%) off the ground for free. I always ask at the range if a shooter saves their brass. Most every one offers it happy to know its not headed into the trash.

Just to "save money", try the hammer type inertial bullet pullers. They work for almost every caliber with just that one tool and if you watch the bullet carefully you can tap very lightly as it edges out of the case so not to damage it. All the powder is caught in the tool.

If you look too hard at the initial cost it can be discouraging. But if you look at the price of the car in the garage and the insurance, and the maintenance, plus the cost of the garage? The bus looks pretty cheap right now.

Did your truck just disappear? Didn't think so!
Very good points, now onward to the next point, Wife!!:)

Grunt0311

May I recommend a suitable application of Orchids? If you try roses women figure something is up, probably you up to no good. But women find orchids a touching gesture from your heart.... Works for me!

Three times a week I and wife take dancing lessons @ the local dance club. they cost more than the reloading so when I spend a little here and there on powder or bullets my wife sees that dancing is a higher (read: more expensive) pursuit in Our lives. Results? 15 lbs of unopened powder next to me and 24lbs at the reloading table I am working with now, several hundred 375 caliber (Expensive compared to 30 cal and smaller) bullets on the shelf. Can't tell you how many other non LR bullets in the garage.

If you put serious time with your wife, taking her to coffee or going on (dreaded and feared by most men) shopping trips with her your hobby becomes much more acceptable. My wife never shops for groceries without me - I make a point of it.

Listen to me my friends and you too shall become successfully married men!!!
Did I mention my wife goes with me to the local indoor pistol range regularly?

Years ago when I started hand loading my own ammo I thought I would save money reloading. I'll tell you straight out that is a pipe dream, figuratively speaking of course. What I have done is engage in a hobby that has been anything other than money saving. I have played with a lot of different cartridges/firearms and have not regretted one red cent of it. I have loaded ammo that produced accuracy I have never witnessed in over the counter fodder. I wouldn't try to talk you out of reloading, but I will tell if you are adept at rolling your own it is addicting and you will sometimes see yourself as a reloading/shooting junky that needs a fix. If you need a second opinion on this just ask my S-I-L, as I taught him to load and he will tell you the same thing.

As VarmintH8R said, you can get all set up for about $800. That is if you start with a single stage press, which I highly recommend. I will probably catch some flak for this but the only advise I have concerning brands is to stay away from Lee brand stuff. Some of his designs are great but the quality of his products seems pitifully inferior to me. I have used some Lee and the only piece I still have is the Auto-prime case primer and as long as they (2, one small and one large) still work I won't replace them.

That covers it in a nutshell an d I'd never, never have a progressive (turret) press because of the inherent chance of screwing things uo.

Far as Lee Precision, Lee isn't all that bad if your wallet is thin. I will say that Lee Collet dies are innovative concerning bullet runout (none) and their dedicated crimp dies work well on 223 and 308, both of which are my biggest reloads.

Lee is more about straight wall pistol cases and shotshell reloading than bottleneck case reloading. I use Lee pistol dies exclusively for straight walled cases and their shotshell press for the scattergun.

With the price of components rising faster than ready made ammo, the difference is getting less in price but reloading is additive and it keeps you outta your wife's hair...... just say'in.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.