Reloading Berger 215's & H1000 starting point?

In the factory guns, expect around 2830-2850 fps in a 26" barrel. If you're above that you're most likely too hot

OK, I will bite. Why do you mention factory guns specifically?

Factory guns are held to SAAMI spec which is proven dimensionally safe across a wide standard of usage. You may see some pop up into the 2900 fps area safely but don't expect it.

The guys you see getting the best performance with 215s are running purpose built rifles with chambers specifically for an intended use.

Factory guns are held to SAAMI spec which is proven dimensionally safe across a wide standard of usage. You may see some pop up into the 2900 fps area safely but don't expect it.

The guys you see getting the best performance with 215s are running purpose built rifles with chambers specifically for an intended use.

This thread makes me happy that the barrel I ordered (and have not received yet) I listened to Jim at NSS and got the "match" chambering. He said it will work perfect for the 215gr and above bullets.

I almost didn't listen to him because I want to feed from the mag most of the time. I think it will all work out good. My bottom metal is coming with AI mags which appear to be longer than a factory mag.

I have a stock 700 sps and getting 2830 with Hornady brass and I think 76.5 gr h1000. I feel this is about as far as I want to push it, accuracy is good and brass life so far is good( five firing and still good primer pockets) no pressure signs

Beeman thankyou for the info. It appears that this comes down to the brass and weight sorting as well as brand of brass. Also can you tell me how to get in touch with Broz.?? Do you have a email address or phone number. You have my interest about the reamer he recommended to use for your barrel. I will be having a 300 win mag built next month hopefuly. It will have a 26" brux barrel. If i cant get 2900 fps or better using 215s, there is no point to me in switching from the 210s i now use at 2950 fps.

I just sent him a PM on this site. He has a ton of experience with the 300WM. I can give you the reamer specs if you want.

Please explain match vs saami chamber...what is exactly shorter or longer?

It's longer. I just looked through my notes from when I talked with Jim at NSS. I did not write down how much it is longer by unfortunately. He said if I'm only going to be shooting the 215gr-230gr bullets I'll definitely want the "match" chambering.

PT&G 300 Win Mag SAAMI reamer
PTG Chamber Reamer: .300 Winchester Magnum (SAAMI)

PT&G 300 Win Mag Match reamer
PTG Chamber Reamer: .300 Winchester Magnum Match (.340" Neck, .093" Freebore, 1°30')

These are the specs off my reamer from PTG. 300 WIN MAG TAC MATCH FINISHER .3407 NK .210 FB 1*30

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts