good starting point

CA30-06

I'm going to be loading some 150gr Barns TSX BT for CA deer hunting this season. They will be for a 1903a3. Does anybody have experience with these or a heavier weight I should get my hands on? I'm very new to the all copper loads and this is the first time loading them for the old 30-06. I will prob end up loading a few for my brothers 300 savage for the same trip. Powder ideas, seat depth, powder weights,etc. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Haven't loaded them in a 30-06 but have in a 270 Win and a 300 WM. They seem to shoot better with higher velocity. Start them out at .05" from the lands and tweak seating depth from there.

I got my data by emailing Barnes. They have sent me reloading data several times.

Good luck...I to am in CA and have had to develop loads with copper.

Rl 17 has been a good powder with barnes. I would start at .05 as stated by shane or even deeper. I have been pleased with accuracy and results. H 4350 is a good back up powder.

I would find someone with a Barns loading manual and see what it says. Barns used to say to keep their bullets at least 30 thousands off the lands because of pressure problems when seated closer. With the mono bullets they reach max pressure with less powder than cup and core bullets. IMR 4064 has always been a good powder for the 30-06 with 150 gr bullets.

I have used them a good bit. Like Howco said start at about .05 off the lands they are good bullets. I have had better luck with terminal performace in higher velocity rifles. What ever grain bullet you normally wold shoot cup and core drop down about 20 grains in bullet weight for same terminal performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.