Reloading Berger 215's & H1000 starting point?

WEATHERBY460

Please help.

How much powder should I start with in a 300 Winchester Magnum, and how far from the lands typically work the best with this combo in a Rem 700.

Thanks

Please help.

How much powder should I start with in a 300 Winchester Magnum, and how far from the lands typically work the best with this combo in a Rem 700.

Thanks

The hybrids (at least in my personal experience) is more forgiving than the VLDs in finding the sweet spot, IMHO, that's the best and fun part of the development process. Go to Berger site and read up on "Making it Shoot" , tons of information their.

Below is what I got from Berger, YMMV ... good luck!

Attachments

• 300 Winchester Magnum - 215 Grain.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
I started at 73 gr of H1000 in mine. This was very mild in my gun but better to be safe than sorry. In a few different rifles 30 thou off seems to work really good. As FEENIX stated they are very forgiving. I also have a Wyatt extended box. These bullets are long so maybe try them at mag length, they might shoot really good. If not you may have to single feed; but I am sure you will find a accurate load.

I started my pressure testing at 73 gr and worked up in .5gr increments.
I start load development with a this step - always. I figured 73.5 would be safe, so at the same range session I tested various seating depths with this load. .04" was the magic jump for my rifle.

In my rifle 73.5gr at 2715fps and 75gr at 2800fps work great and yield < .4 MOA.

What type of brass? There are significant differences in internal dimension between PPU brass and Winchester. With PPU start at 70 or 71 with Winchester start at 73.

At 74 with PPU brass I was bulging the shoulders during the seating process. PPU brass weighs approx. 238grs per case while Nosler is about 213. Reload with lower charges with the heavier brass.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Absolutely agree with Nosler being safe at 73. In fact, I'd probably start a grain higher with Nosler or Norma.

Its new Nosler brass that I am using...so I can start with 73 grains and should be safe?

Check the weight of your brass. If it is in the 215 gr range that should be good. I started at 73 in Nosler brass with the 210vld and the 215 has a shorter bearing surface so I would say yes.

If the brass is over 225 gr I would say reduce. BTW at 73.5 grains H1000 in the PPU brass I was getting the same velocity as 77 in Nosler.

Shoot straight

Bob

My Nosler brass in my gun topped out at 79 gr. The difference in my friends PPU bras was only one grain less than my Nosler. Both guns shoot the 215 right at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux. I agree to weigh your brass. Nosler is weight sorted but we had a huge variation from lot to lot using 270 Win brass in our 6.5 Sherman's. My Nosler brass was 23 gr more than my friends 270 nosler brass.

I have a question for you. You state that you are getting 3000 fps with a berger 215 vld out of a brux 26" barrel?? What powder and how much powder?? Are you getting any pressure signs? Are you using Nosler brass??

Good questions! I'd also like to know this.
I can't go above 2800 by much. But I have a 25" barrel.

I have a question for you. You state that you are getting 3000 fps with a berger 215 vld out of a brux 26" barrel?? What powder and how much powder?? Are you getting any pressure signs? Are you using Nosler brass??

Yes both myself and a friend are right at 3000 fps. I use Nosler brass and he uses Privi or PPU I believe. The PPU brass is a bit heavier so he runs 1 gr less for the same velocity. We are not really showing any pressure signs. Some brass has a very slight ejector mark. Bolt lift is always light, and primers are not flat. We both use H1000 with FED GM 215M primers. I started at 73 gr of H1000 and stopped at 79 gr. Could probably go a bit higher but I know we are close to max and the guns shoot SO GOOD we stopped at 79 gr. Every load from 73 to 79 produced a ragged one hole group at 100 yds. I have never had a gun shoot so good with every load I tried. I believe the speed we get is due to the reamer that BROZ recommended for me. It allows us to seat the bullet way out and use all the case capacity. I know Broz was getting a bit higher velocity than we are but also has a 28" barrel I believe. Both guns were chambered with this reamer and other than the 1 gr lower powder charge they are loaded identical. Drops are dead on out to 910 yds (as far as I can shoot). My best group at 500 yds was right at 2 inches.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.