reduced 243 load for daughter

grit

I need a reduced load for my daughter. She's a petite 11. I would prefer a small deer bullet. I see loads in my manual that'll equal 223 loads. But not with a deer bullet.

Thanks!

My .243 Win really likes the 95gr Noslers with a light load of IMR4350. It runs around 2800fps. I just looked in the Nosler reloading book (page 170, Nosler reloading guide number four) and there is a very light load listed of H4895, 31.5gr's with the 95gr Nosler Ballistic tip that runs 2587fps. That load with a 95gr bullet should really be light recoiling, yet still have enough energy for close range deer. I haven't tried the load, but it is the lightest load any of my books list. It also is denoted as the most accurate for the H4895 powder, I would give it a try.

Sorry I haven't used the super reduced loads, but that load is where I would start. I know that my deer load with the 95gr bullet has less recoil than my hot load with the 55gr ballistic tip bullet. I've shot deer with the 95gr bullet and had one shot kills every time.

Hope this helps,

AJ

Hope it works out for you. You should have no problem finding deer to shoot, I've seen plenty of them in the winter just west of Soldier Summit (I grew up near Fruita Colorado and drove to Salt Lake many times).

Good luck and keep us informed of your findings.

AJ

I have killed a lot of small whitetails with the 85 grain Speer boat tail. A lighter bullet will have less recoil than a heavier bullet.

If you have the Speer Manual #10 they have loads that are about 2000fps for 80 gr and 90 grain bullets using IMR 4198. If you don't have that manual and want a load that slow let me know and I will type up the data.

BB,
Thanks. Don't know how I missed those last night. According to Lens recoil calculation spreadsheet they should generate 4lbs. While the Nosler load generates 8lbs. I also have those 85's on the shelf. Should be pertect. I'm certain my excitement for her to hunt far exceeds her own!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.