Retumbo load for 243

Wachsmann

So I have all my guns shooting pretty good with Retumbo powder. I was thinking about tring to get a load worked up in a 243 win which is the wife's gun. I know this is a slow burning powder but if possible then I would only need one powder to buy. So does any one have a retumbo load for a 243 shooting some 95 bergers or the 90 grain accubonds. Thanks...

Hodgdon lists the 243 win and Retumbo for a 105gr and 107 gr bullet. The lowest charge is 46 gr and maximum is 49 gr. Also states 49 grains is compressed.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

I just used a drop tube and a fireformed 243 case. Max powder charge right up to the neck is 50 grains.

I'd bet you couldn't get enough powder in the case to have too much pressure with a 90 or 95 grain bullet. I'd use a drop tube and start around 47 gr and work up for most accurate load.

It only a 22 inch barrel. I was just thinking if I could change over to retumbo then I would only buy one powder. I know there are better powders for the 243 but I was thinking if I could get away with it and possibily use a mag primer to increase case pressure maybe I could get something that could shoot ok and have some decent speed as well. I currently have plenty of other powders but thinking out in the furture over a year or 2 from now it would be nice just to be able to buy the 5 or 8 pound jung of retumbo and call it good. Just to simplify things a bit. But saying that I think I currently have about 8 different type of powder on hand right now. So I have some to pick from. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts