Retumbo load for 25-06

Dosh

Wanted to share my findings today. Went to the range today to shoot 8 loads with the Berger 115VLD for my friend's Savage 11 in 25-06 with 24" barrel. We have tried H4350, H4831SC in the past shooting a dozen loads. Today we shot 2 loads of H4350, 1 was at MOA. 3 loads of H1000, none were promising. 3 loads of Retumbo with 1 five shot load at .660 @ 100yds. When I research Retumbo for 25-06 I didn't realize how many people were using it. As a bonus it's very easy to find here, there was 20 one pounders at Cabelas last week.

I use 7828 SSC for my .25-06 AI. And now that I have some 7977, I have been debating on giving that a try, as well.

Retumbo was too finicky and I never got a good load for it in any of my magnum cartridges for me to try in a wildcat. So I decided to skip it.

Mud, Retumbo may be finicky and probably is since the accurate load was only .3 gr difference less of the group that was 1.6 MOA and .3 gr more than the 1.1 MOA group. Next trip will crony this load and do a couple loads closer to the lands (.040 off now). His barrel has a very short COL which had us scratching our head when we began loading for it. We researched this caliber with the 115VLD for about a week and had 6 pages of notes which helped go directly to the loads we tested. The 7977 will be on my purchase list now as I'm a bit more receptive to something new.

Mud, Retumbo may be finicky and probably is since the accurate load was only .3 gr difference less of the group that was 1.6 MOA and .3 gr more than the 1.1 MOA group. Next trip will crony this load and do a couple loads closer to the lands (.040 off now). His barrel has a very short COL which had us scratching our head when we began loading for it. We researched this caliber with the 115VLD for about a week and had 6 pages of notes which helped go directly to the loads we tested. The 7977 will be on my purchase list now as I'm a bit more receptive to something new.
Thanks for sharing ! I'm working on some loads also for a New 25-06 and read everything I can find on it . Not got around to Retumbo yet, Not seen any around here .

Dosh - what rifle??

Ron, as stated in post #1 Savage 11 with 24" barrel. Additionally a bedded Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, Talley lightweight mounts and Nikon Monarch. 210M primer, his Hornady brass off front rest and rear bag.

I worked up a load for my brothers Rem 700 Long Range 25-06 that shot easily 1/2 moa. The bottom left group is the last I shot with it at 100 yrds before I handed back to him to zero. Load info on target in picture. I can't get the pic turned the right way. Sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 582
Ran some 7977 through one of my 25-06's yesterday with 110 AB's. Found a good enough hunting load with 5-shot .6" groups at 100. Ran some over the magnetospeed and had 3125 fps for a 22" barrel.
Next I'll check for repeatability and take them out to 500 or so.

This is the 2nd 25-06 I've found good 7977 loads for. Both using the 110's. The other is a slower barrel for some reason. Could have something to do with the 3000 + rounds that have been down that barrel. 2nd one only ran right at 3000/2980.

Both had SD's in the low double digits (17 for yesterday's and 19 for the other.)

I run 58.5 grains of Retumbo with s 215 primer and 115 Berger gives me 3260fps . 0.5 Moa to 500 yards . I also was given 2lbs of N160 I loaded some bullets last week 53.5 grains 5shots at 100 yards .3moa . And 3240fps if you have some N160 try it out

Tag, jumping in, I use Retumbo on in other guns, haven't tried n the 25-06 yet!

I use RE25, only because it gives me .366" 5 shot groups with 110gr Accubonds, 3260fps with either Retumbo or RE25. Retumbo won't go below .433", if it did, that's what I would use.
I'm still waiting for some Berger 115 VLD's, hard to source here.

Cheers.
gun)

I use RE25, only because it gives me .366" 5 shot groups with 110gr Accubonds, 3260fps with either Retumbo or RE25. Retumbo won't go below .433", if it did, that's what I would use.
I'm still waiting for some Berger 115 VLD's, hard to source here.

Cheers.
gun)
MagnumManiac,
Try using our DEALER LOCATOR on our main page for help finding these bullets. Easy to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.