Reduced load for Edge

loonie

Looking for a safe reduced load for 338 edge for 250 to 300 grain bullets that could get down to 2000 fps area. Want to test some bullets expansion at lower velocities to simulate long range performance. Used H4198 for a 300 win load that worked good, but dont know what powder would work with the Edge.

Looks like that what I will have to do. Just have to stay centered in a 8 inch square!!!

What bullets are you wanting to test? I'm just getting started on another round of bullet testing and I know I have lots of 300gr OTMs and 250gr SMKs on hand as well as a few odds and ends left over from the last round of testing. I'll shoot them out of an 18" specially pistol in 338/375 Ruger, so it's easier to get low velocity impacts on the gel than having to hit it at 1200+ yards.

I'm shooting everything into 20% ballistic gel this time around so I can get good pictures and video of all the impacts.

We been using the 300 Berger EH but I wont use them for hunting anymore. Had them pencil thru elk on several occasions, even on shoulder shots at close range. 530 yards. Would like to see what the 285M would do at 1000 yard plus range, 1800 to 2000 fps. Probably too fragile up close. The 7mm 180 M definitely were. The 265 LR accubond looked awesome when I tested them at 600, but they dont shoot that well at distance. Will definitely try the 300 LR accubond when they come out .Just hope they shoot good. Have some 300 acubonds but never tested them. I'm sure they work well but dont have the BC for distance as the other bullets do . My old Speer manual dont have data for edge but shows SR 4759 for a reduced load in 340 Weatherby Magnum. I have a big can of SR 4756 but dont know how close burn rate is or were to start.

Lonnie I have some OTMs and smk I'll send you. I know when Andrew tested them a few years ago, the EH was the worst. OTM was next followed by the smk being the best nice mushroom. Maybe he still has pictures of them.

I dug through some of my pictures and found the 300gr Hybrid and 300gr Scenar pics. Impact velocities on both are right about 1900 fps I believe.

kuGJxqx.jpg

riHaMZR.jpg

My old thread is still on here somewhere, but most of the pictures are gone. Photobucket broke the links to all of the pictures in the thread and I just don't have the time or patience to go back and redo all the pictures!

That expansion looks minimal for hunting . Might be trouble on a elk. The 210 Noslers in pic from 300 win in wet newspaper at 1690 fps. Worked very well last hunting season .