reduced load for 7mm stw?

ndriverhunter

I've never loaded a reduced load for any caliber.. I'm going antelope hunting for the 1st time this fall and what I'd like to do is bring my favorite long range rifle/reload along for any kind of exceptionally long shot and be able to slide in a reduced load for a closer range shot. I don't like the designs of the 100 gr .284 bullets and would like to stick with the 139 gr. bullet I'm using now, but load it down to maybe 2500 to 2800fps. Has anyone done anything similar with a similar caliber and can you give me a starting point? i.e. what powders/primers/fillers if any?? things to be aware of? Maybe I'm dreaming but it sure would be great if I could get near as accurate a load as my present load. I'm shooting a win. laredo. love it.
thanks

Driver

These velocity,s are hard to get without going below
80% density(NOT GOOD).

I like the 120gr bullets but if you want slow go with
heavier bullets and very slow powder.

Be very careful with squibb loads.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with JE. The stw is to large of a case to try to reduce it down that far. Accuracy and velocity spreads would suffer. If you shoot them through the vitals no meat is wasted anyway. Do you have a brake on your lerodo. I have shot out a couple of lerado's. what a great factory rifle. Good luck.

Not to be a jerk, but buy a 7mm Rem Mag if you want to go slower. You have a fantastic gun and cartridge. Use it like it was designed.

get a 7mm-08 or a 284. or why not shoot the full power load for the shorter shot?

maybe kirby could make u an "adapter" so u can shoot a 7mm08 shell in the stw? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or how bout fillin a few stw cases with lead alloy so they have a smaller capacity for a lessened load?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.