Redding type s die set questions

The short die in that three die set is called a body die. It will reduce body taper and set back the shoulder. Begin with the die screwed into the press with a gap between the shell holder and the die. Lube the body of a case and run it into die. Wipe off case and try the fit in the chamber. If still too snug, lower the body die part of a turn and repeat. At some point you will get the fit you desire. You could buy a bump gauge insert for the comparator to measure the distance from case head to shoulder for a reference or just do it by feel. Some shooters like a bit of bolt closure resistance others like no resistance.

Once you get the die adjusted use a feeler gauge to measure the gap between shell holder and bottom of die so you can repeat the adjustment at a later date. I store the correct feeler gauge(s) in the die box. Use same shell holder each time. It may still require a slight tweak of the body die after using feeler gauges but you will be very close.

Thanks! also, what are the advantages of a type s die set vs a type d? is it a case life difference or a neck tension thing?

Maybe series D would have been a more accurate statement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 124
Type S are the bushing dies, while the ones shown in the photo (Type D) are normal sizing and seating dies; no bushing. No comparison here, go with the bushing dies. Better case life, better accuracy, more flexibility to control what you're loading . . . just a better option all the way around.

Hopefully not high jacking the thread here.

I'm looking at the same thing 6.5X284 Norma.

Can you use the Redding full length bushing body die to only size the neck? I need to purchase dies for the 6.5 and am debating which set to purchase. If I purchase the bushing body die and use it for neck or full length sizing I only need 1 die. Then buy the seater die separately.

No, a bushing type body die is going to size the body. Technically, you could omit the bushing and then it wouldn't touch the neck at all, sizing only the body, but not the other way around.

Seriously, step away for the neck sizing! It's a source of a good many problems that are easily cured (and never even needed to happen in the first place) by simply using correct F/L sizing. Neck sizing does not improve accuracy, it WILL cause you chambering difficulties, and properly done, will give every bit as good case life as N/S theoretically should. It's a trouble magnet, just looking for something to attach itself to.

Not much at all if you only bump back .001-.002, if you have a longer/looser head-spaced chamber and you keep sizing back to sammi specs it will reduce life.

No, a bushing type body die is going to size the body. Technically, you could omit the bushing and then it wouldn't touch the neck at all, sizing only the body, but not the other way around.

Seriously, step away for the neck sizing! It's a source of a good many problems that are easily cured (and never even needed to happen in the first place) by simply using correct F/L sizing. Neck sizing does not improve accuracy, it WILL cause you chambering difficulties, and properly done, will give every bit as good case life as N/S theoretically should. It's a trouble magnet, just looking for something to attach itself to.

I have always used a standard FL sizing die. I have read numerous posts about how great a bushing die is. How will a bushing die cause chambering issues if the correct bushing is used? What causes it to be a trouble magnet? What other issues are associated with bushing dies?

Bushing dies are not trouble magnets. They work the neck less than a standard die and allow you to adjust neck tension/diameter very easily. I have not found any bad issues associated with them except cost.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.