Redding competition bushing die set

"I measured a fired piece of brass- 0.338" Loaded shell- 0.332...
Does that mean I have 3 thou clearance?"

No. As you observe, springback must be considered. Your chamber neck is typically at least 2 or 3 thou larger than fired case diameter.

Polishing an expander ball is, in my opinion, over rated. A little sizing lube inside the case neck is far more effective at reducing case neck pulling from the factory expander.

That said, MOST resiized neck tilt does come from the expanding step BUT that is mostly from the massive (to the neck's point of view) change from the sized diameter to the expanded diameter. Some folks hope to reduce neck pull and gain more "bullet tension" at the same time by polishing the expander down another thousant. That's really not good.

Nothing is actually accomplished for real bullet tension by expanding them smaller than 2 thousants under bullet diameter. Smaller that that, the plastic limits of case brass means the neck just stretches enough so the effective tension gripping the bullet remains the same as if it were only 2 thou under. Result; no net gain in effective bullet grip but the necks WILL be slightly bent during seating due to a lack of effective support in conventional seating dies. (That's part of why Forster/Redding straight line type seaters are somewhat better.)

I believe the Lee Collet Neck die is the best bet for factory rifles. It makes straight necks AND the neck's inner diameter isn't greatly under-sized so seating can/should be more concentric.

I understand that I don't need 1/4" groups for hunting, but I'm also trying to work on my reloading tecniques. The quest for more accuracy can bend a guy over a barrel most times.

Eric,

I beg to differ. I think if you are talking LR hunting you do want 1/4" accuracy if you can get it, and you do want to squeeze out every tenth that you can. I figure another tenth of 100 yd accuracy will get you another 100-200 yds down range for hunting at extended distances. The farther down range you get the more challenges you run into and the more exponentially issues adverse to accuracy will affect your shooting. So my philosophy is squeeze as much as you can.

The question is... how much time and $$$ do you want to invest for what level of return.

Good shooting,

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.