280AI Redding Elite Bushing Die Set

You sure about that? Does your brass measure .309 with a loaded .284 bullet? That would make sense with an average of 12.5 thou neck thickness. Redding would however suggest that you use a bushing that is one or two thou LESS than your loaded round. So .307 or .308"
My Peterson brass is more like 0.014-0.015" thick. Last batch of Lapua I checked averaged 0.0143", can't find notes on Peterson ATM. A .311 would work with my brass, loaded OD beteewn .312-.313.

Sounds like Mark needs .310 and .309, maybe a .308. Whidden's standard 7mm kit is .309 to .313.

I was hoping to not need more than a couple of bushings. Based on this variability it looks like I need to just order around 5 for safe measure. The rabbit hole gets deeper.
A big part of using bushings to get better control, once you have a couple of bushings you can directly compare results on target and see if makes a difference. That's really the central point, to make things better, and the only way to know is to do it and shoot it.

You guys have been very helpful. I went ahead and back ordered bushings from 307 to 311. Hopefully this will keep me the range I need. Now I need to probably order a VLD seating stem.

I have your dies and a 280 AI too. Load for a 7 RM too. I have a lot of nitrided bushings, cause I didn't know what I was doing initially!

I would consider getting a mandrel in .284 (for loading typically .283) You have two guns in that caliber already.

Why mandrel (and not neck sizing)? Well, variation in neck thickness will result in variation in internal neck diameter when bushing sizing. The guys that turn the necks get rid of all that variation. But its work work work. Good brass makes this less of a problem, but even minor variation will result in slight different amounts of seating force (and pressure needed to expel the bullet upon firing). Variation is the enemy.

bushing sizing and then a final run with a mandrel cleans up that variation. And using a mandrel is super quick and easy. I use graphite lube and then I am ready to load. Bullets tend to all seat with same force.

All the other advice up there makes sense too, BTW.
That's why I cut all my necks for even thickness. Once the case work is done several steps are only one time items. If your neck is uneven inside or out it still effects the bullet when the case expands in the chamber. It's less pressure or even pressure when placing the bullet in the case with the bumps outside of the necks. Inside the chamber that uneven neck open up uneven. so you have gotten pass that.

My 280ai loaded rounds run about 0.3105 - 0.3113" (nosler brass bought about 8-10yrs ago, measured using mitutoyo mic). I use Redding bushing dies and run 0.307 neck bushing without depriming pin expander ( springs back to about 0.308") then mandrel expand using 0.2825 pin (from 21st Century). Outside of necks run about 0.3085" before seating bullet so gives me about .0025" "neck tension".

I don't have any Peterson 280ai brass but have heard the same as others have mentioned that it is a bit thicker. QuietTexans data of 0.312-0.313" OD with Peterson I would think you'll be covered with the bushing range youve ordered and suspect when the dust settles you'll land using about 0.309" range.

Best wishes with your new incoming 280ai. I love the cartridge (have a GAP 280ai and currently in-process of building another one with ETA of Aug assuming stock arrives in July).

You are going to end up with a few bushings either way- spend the bucks and stop crying- its your money NOT mine. Now I have some 60 bushings from 17 to 338 LM all brass is different size so start your collection before they go to $ 100,00 a bushing. Have two 280's and one is a 40 AI and the original 280 Rem Ruger 77 with a new bbl and still shots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA . Bushings vary by brass being used.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW TOY !

Last edited:
You are right on the bushing collection. Get a bushing box to house all of them. I set up an excel sheet to show which busing is where in the box. Cut it to size to fit inside the boxes. Brownell the bushing are just under $30.00 each for Redding. Me with a 6mm-280AI I am having to step down 4 time to achieve the size I need without crashing them. I don't use the expander either. So far I haven't needed it. I will go to mandrels if needed. Now I have 4-280AI FL bushing die to get where I need to be. So once I am set up I don't have to change out the bushing in that die. So if you are wondering where all the 280AI FL bushing dies are I got them. HA! I have gone the extra mile and gotten a Henderson Precision case trimmer, a 21st Ct neck turning tool, and set up to do several different calibers and shoulder angles. Once set I don't have to redo it. Still have equipment coming. Harry up and wait. The life of a reloader.
The other thing I want to note is: Brownell has a once a year fee for shipping @ about $50.00. That way having to order out items you don't get ding, but once a year. It doesn't cover Hazmat fees. I have gotten more than my money back this year already in shipping fees.

I didn't realize that Brownell had a one time annual shipping fee. I would already be ahead of the game if I purchased this in January. I've got 4 orders pending right now. I did purchase the box for bushings. I will slowly start converting to Redding on my other calibers.

I didn't realize that Brownell had a one time annual shipping fee. I would already be ahead of the game if I purchased this in January. I've got 4 orders pending right now. I did purchase the box for bushings. I will slowly start converting to Redding on my other calibers.
Call them, I bet they'll combine and credit those if you do the annual shipping.

Same here. I am on my second yr, I have figure out which bushing I going to use. I have 2 Redding Bushing dies coming for 220 swift, (From Midway) (Brownell doesn't handle them anymore) I de-cap with a decapping die only. I remove the expander ball from the rod. Be careful if necking down the neck for other calibers. The decapping rod is set for that case, and changing the use of it to size downward. I found that out a couple of months ago the hard way. Lucky I had a 25/06 bushing die, and exchange the rod for now. I had to go to another place to get a new rod. I believe it's Accurate Arms & Ammo, Inc. for de-capping rods. You can get them direct from Redding. Midway and Brownell don't stock them. I order some, but they are in Montana, and I am in Mexico-North (aka Calif) presently. So I don't know much about them yet.
I do cut all my necks to thickness. With the 6mm/280AI case I have been able to size down to my needed ID, and not had to use a mandrel to expand the neck. I don't think I need that extra step in pushing the uneven parts out to outside of the neck, because it not there anymore. I will have to see how that works out.
Another thing. I believe that if you are loading for Belted Mag like 264, 7mm RM, 300WM, and 338WM. If the case are cut all the same length (I think) you would only have to change out the bushing. I haven't done a total study yet, but I am headed that way. I could be wrong too.

My 280AI Peterson brass neck thickness average measurements is .0150"-.0155" which is thicker than my Peterson in 7mm Mag which averaged .0140"-.0145" (needing a .310"-.311" bushing)

So for my 280AI Peterson brass example; .0155"x2=.310"+.284"=.315"-.002"=.313" bushing needed. Definitely simpler to just measure a loaded round though.

860F625E-B16E-4A0A-87A5-BC473226FF55.jpeg

Last edited:
I use Peterson brass and my necks are about 14.5 thou, and a loaded round (175EH) is .312. I am still fireforming on this brass so when I get one firing I will go for .003 under loaded round for a bushing size, then run a .002 under mandrel

My 280AI Peterson brass neck thickness average measurements is .0150"-.0155" which is thicker than my Peterson in 7mm Mag which averaged .0140"-.0145" (needing a .310"-.311" bushing)

So for my 280AI Peterson brass example; .0155"x2=.310"+.284"=.315"-.002"=.313" bushing needed. Definitely simpler to just measure a loaded round though.

View attachment 351304
More bushings…. I can see why you need boxes and fill them up. I just wish Redding offered a set of bushings for a particular cartridge.

Dang, I thought I was getting bad when I bought my second bushing box! I am beginning to think that picking up a bushing box for every "range" of bushings makes sense. One for .264 (.288 - .294 approx) one for .277, one for .284 etc. You get the picture. Then a nice fat marker indicating what's in there. I am a kinda lucky that I am as yet only loading for .264, .284 and .338 calibers with bushings. But I load multiple guns in the .264 and .284 calibers, so its a lot of switching and record keeping.....