bushing die set ?

fisherman983

so ive never used a fancy set of dies. and maybe I don't need to but I want to wring out any extra accuracy and make my handloads as absolutely perfect and consistent as possible.

what bushing die set should I go with and why? school me as I don't know much about them. I was looking at the redding type s 3 die set with competition seater.

will be for a 264 win mag

The 3-die set will work fine.
But for that cartridge you will have to size the body every time. So you could save a little money and consider a FL bushing die. TYPE S MATCH BUSHING FULL DIE SETS | Sinclair Intl
This is a misnomer in that FL dies do just that with sizing (including FL of necks). What the linked die should be called is a body-bushing die. This combining 2 of the dies in their 3 die set.

Here's probably a stupid question but why would I need to resize the case every time?..why couldn't I just neck size?

The cartridge is not designed for accuracy, nor providing longevity in either the brass or barrel.
It's designed to create a big flash & boom.

But more directly, 25deg shoulders will have to be bumped. And it's a long case with a lot of body area, so you'll be sizing bodies once extraction gets difficult.
This is my opinion; I think you'll need to body size/shoulder bump, and that partial neck sizing with a bushing is a good idea.
I do not think you can get away with neck sizing only -for a 264wm.

I do not think you can get away with neck sizing only -for a 264wm.

Oh you probably can, the question is for how long? And/or why bother? I can't see any reason to exclude sizing the case with each reload, with the die properly set of course to eliminate excessive sizing.

I fiddled with neck sizing only a few times. I don't do that anymore....

As far as bushing dies go, I've had good luck with FL bushing dies from:

Redding
Forster
Whidden

OP- I'd listen to what Mike is telling you. I have a feeling he knows what he's talking about.

t

okay so next question...ive been using a hornady die, set to what I believe is partial neck sizing, and ive set up most of my rcbs dies to what I believe is partial neck size for several different calibers...when I make the switch to using a redding die set with neck bushing and full length sizing as you are recommending, do I need to redevelop my load?

I don't know.
The only way to predict this would be in measurement of H20 capacities among different sized case forms, and then run the numbers in QuickLoad software.

you could also look into the redding body die. It is designed to size the case body a small amount to get the rounds to chamber without overworking the casing like a full length sizing die does. I have one for my ruger m77 VT in 6mmPPC. I have the competition 3 dies set that has a micrometer bushing neck sizer a micrometer seating die and a body die.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.