280AI Redding Elite Bushing Die Set

Mark37082

I jumped into the next level and ordered a Redding Elite Bushing Die Set for a 280AI in the works. I also ordered a .311 bushing based on some of my research. Now I wondering what I have jumped into. I don't turn necks. I don't have any loaded rounds yet to measure. Is this another rabbit hole to complicate my life and empty my wallet?
So here is my plan:
I have Peterson brass.
Plenty of .284 bullets and appropriate powder.
The new Peterson Brass is .309 OD at the neck. Very consistent on the ones I measured
I don't necessarily want to drop another $200 on a neck turning tool and add to complexity.
I could buy additional bushings, but which ones is the question.
One of the problems is availability. I had to back ordered the die set and bushing at Brownells.
If anyone can throw me a rope and pull me part of the way out of this rabbit hole, it would be appreciated. Should I just order additional bushings and which ones? Should I quit whining and just order a neck turning tool?

Should I just order additional bushings and which ones?
Do you have other dies? Seat a bullet to make a dummy round, measure OD of the loaded neck, buy the bushings that are -0.001" and -0.002" under that measurement. You might be fine with .311 or you might need to range down towards a .308. My Peterson brass is pretty thick at the necks comparatively, so you could be fine with what you have right now.

No need to turn, bushings aren't that expensive, once you get the dies get a couple and try them out.

My Whidden dies came with 5 bushings, Forester kit comes with 3, if you stick with a chambering long enough to try different brans of brass you'll inevitably end up with multiple bushings.

This is my first 280ai. I do have 7RM Forster dies and Peterson brass. I wonder if I can get good reading to see if I'm in range and up my order on bushings. Oh well, I'm part of the way out of the hole. Thanks for your input.

I agree with Tex. No need to turn. I stopped doing it myself. I start with peterson brass and then develop loads. 280AI is inherently accurate and not hard to get it to shoot, IME. All my rifles shoot .5 or better without all that extra work just by starting with good components. My rifles and ammo shoot better than the aging shooter.
I should add that H-4831SC and RL-22 shot great in my rifle out of the many powders tested. One I didnt test but should shoot well would be RL-26. Hope to test it one day. Too many irons in the fire right now.

I've got a couple of lbs of H4831sc reserved for the 280ai. There is good news and bad news with waiting on a rifle build. The good news is it gives me time to collect all the components I will need. The bad news other than the impact on the bank account is the waiting game. I'm trying to acquire the top shelf parts, tools, and components for this particular rifle. In the end I want to try to eliminate most of the non-human potential issues this time around. Thanks.

If you have a bushing die SET, that means you should have a seater.
When youbget the does, Seat a bullet and measure neck diameter after. Then, plan on buying a bushing .002-.003" smaller than that measurement.
Steel bushings are like $20, Ti are like $40. You can swap bushings easily to adjust neck tension. No need to turn necks, no need for a new set of dies.

I have a neck turning tool. I stopped using it maybe twenty years ago. I'd do what Lance just posted.

If you have a bushing die SET, that means you should have a seater.
When youbget the does, Seat a bullet and measure neck diameter after. Then, plan on buying a bushing .002-.003" smaller than that measurement.
Steel bushings are like $20, Ti are like $40. You can swap bushings easily to adjust neck tension. No need to turn necks, no need for a new set of dies.
Makes perfect sense to me. The Elite die set comes with a FL, neck bushing, and seating die. Since it seems everything is on back order only, I was just trying to get ahead of the wait game and put in an order.

Makes perfect sense to me. The Elite die set comes with a FL, neck bushing, and seating die. Since it seems everything is on back order only, I was just trying to get ahead of the wait game and put in an order.
I did the same thing, ordered everything I need for a 6XC build. Already had bullets. Dies already arrived. Waiting on the barrel and HS gauges. Good thing, the time change moved me an hour closer. ;)

I have your dies and a 280 AI too. Load for a 7 RM too. I have a lot of nitrided bushings, cause I didn't know what I was doing initially!

I would consider getting a mandrel in .284 (for loading typically .283) You have two guns in that caliber already.

Why mandrel (and not neck sizing)? Well, variation in neck thickness will result in variation in internal neck diameter when bushing sizing. The guys that turn the necks get rid of all that variation. But its work work work. Good brass makes this less of a problem, but even minor variation will result in slight different amounts of seating force (and pressure needed to expel the bullet upon firing). Variation is the enemy.

bushing sizing and then a final run with a mandrel cleans up that variation. And using a mandrel is super quick and easy. I use graphite lube and then I am ready to load. Bullets tend to all seat with same force.

All the other advice up there makes sense too, BTW.

I jumped into the next level and ordered a Redding Elite Bushing Die Set for a 280AI in the works. I also ordered a .311 bushing based on some of my research. Now I wondering what I have jumped into. I don't turn necks. I don't have any loaded rounds yet to measure. Is this another rabbit hole to complicate my life and empty my wallet?
So here is my plan:
I have Peterson brass.
Plenty of .284 bullets and appropriate powder.
The new Peterson Brass is .309 OD at the neck. Very consistent on the ones I measured
I don't necessarily want to drop another $200 on a neck turning tool and add to complexity.
I could buy additional bushings, but which ones is the question.
One of the problems is availability. I had to back ordered the die set and bushing at Brownells.
If anyone can throw me a rope and pull me part of the way out of this rabbit hole, it would be appreciated. Should I just order additional bushings and which ones? Should I quit whining and just order a neck turning tool?
My Peterson 280AI brass is .309 OD. I order .311,.310 and .309 bushing and I use 2 different ones based on which bullets I load. Necks varied .001+ and I may clean up necks. I have few tight neck rifle so no big deal on turning necks.

My Peterson 280AI brass is .309 OD. I order .311,.310 and .309 bushing and I use 2 different ones based on which bullets I load. Necks varied .001+ and I may clean up necks. I have few tight neck rifle so no big deal on turning necks.
You sure about that? Does your brass measure .309 with a loaded .284 bullet? That would make sense with an average of 12.5 thou neck thickness. Redding would however suggest that you use a bushing that is one or two thou LESS than your loaded round. So .307 or .308"

I measured the OD of loaded 7RM with Peterson brass just for kicks. It is coming in at .3105 and varies a bit depending on bullet used. I was hoping to not need more than a couple of bushings. Based on this variability it looks like I need to just order around 5 for safe measure. The rabbit hole gets deeper. I'm going to have more $$$ in this die and bushings set than I paid for my first rifle. Of course that was many decades ago.

My .280AI loaded rounds with Nosler .280AI brass have a .309" OD neck. If I had bushing dies, I would run a .306" or .307" bushing to allow for a bit of springback, then run a .283" mandrel, and still give .002" neck tension. But, if Peterson has thick necks, you might need to go up in bushing size.
My Redding dies are FL non-bushing, and they give me perfect .002" neck tension and the mandrel barely opens them up, so it has to be around .306-.307" diameter. I don't need to run an expander mandrel to get my preferred neck tension, but I do anyway.